#1 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:57 AM

Hi guy's,

I know this question has probably been asked a 1000 times but I can't find an answer.  

Is there custom wheel studs which allow the use of 100mm PCD wheels on a Mini/Moke which has a 101.6 PCD or a converter plate that doesn't compromise the integrity?

Even better is there any descent new mag wheels for a Moke in 14x7 or 15x7 with a standard 4" PCD?

Thanks Brad 

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:01 AM

Studs Nope.

adaptors to change the PCD. Sure many out there just make sure the extra width is taken away from the wheels so you don’t mess up the geometry.

#3 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:59 AM

Thanks Nick,

Can you point me in the right direction of one of these spacers so I know what I'm looking for?  

So these will allow the fitment of a 100 PCD on a mini stud pattern?  

Thanks Brad

#4 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 25 August 2020 - 03:00 PM

14" wheels with 4" PCD were fitted to the old Morris Minor .. but whether there are any alloys as you describe around now ???

Maybe a UK MM supplier like ESM or JLH Minor Restorations may be able to advise.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/

https://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/

Don't know of any cars that had 15" with 4" pcd .. until I did a search .. https://www.jlhmorri...-and-tyres.html

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

I did once machine a set of spacers up for a mate - he knew what he was wanting and getting, not something I'd ordinarily do, though, his have been in place some 4 years and approx 50 000 km now without issue. He had a set of 14" Mitsubishi Wheels he wanted to fit, I think these were on a 140 mm PCD.

These spacers were just under 1" thick and took the place or the spacer that's normally on the drum, I did them in a 5000 series Aluminum. They bolt up to the drum / hub on standard short Mini Wheel Studs, and there was an appropriate sized and spaced set of wheel studs fitted in to these spacers (from the back) for his new wheels.

There's loads of custom wheel manufacturer's around and rather than do something bodgey like this, I'd rather steer you to one of them, then you can get the correct PCD, Hole Size, Wheel Nuts to suit, the correct ET (off-set) and a style of your own choosing.

Here in Aust, I know there's Mullin's Wheels, there's another in your home state too, have a google (while we still have it !) for wheel manufacturers and see what pops up. Have a look to in the UK, there's JBW that have a big range off the shelf.

#6 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:24 AM

Force racing make custom pcd drive flanges

http://www.force-rac...-flanges-steel/

#7 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Spider, 

I'm am being pretty fussy because I have had these standard steel wheels on this Moke for the last 40 years so want something special.  I can't find anything blowing wind up my skirt on any of the Mini standard/custom sites.  

I found exactly what I want which is going to need those wheel adapters.   I'm pretty sure they will be over engineered for my cause.  How fast can a granddad go?

While I have the Moke man can you help me with these measurements?   I'm looking at  a wheel 15x7 with a +30 ET.    What size spacer would work best. I know it will stick out, I just want clearance on the suspension points.  Maybe a 25mm?

Thanks Brad 

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:23 PM

ET around +35 is fairly typical for cars with discs & the spacered rear drums.

The wheel nuts are something else to consider, unless the original application also used 3/8unf.

Edit - the penny dropped that you could of course use new studs with a different thread, might even be preferable to flag up the changed PCD.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

The problem with an ET of 35 is you will also have about 25mm of PCD converter so your scrub radii will get worse etc...

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

From memory, the Sunraiser type Moke Wheels have an ET of +37 mm, close to the number Ethel came up with.

So, considering the wheels you're looking at, if you swap to Standard, Non-spacered Drums, then put a spacer on that, the Spacer would need to be circa 25 - 26 mm thick and that will put the fitted ET back where it is now. I'll measure a non-spacered drum later to double check. If you have Discs on the front then really, this is a no-go, because as Nick pointed out, the ET will get crazy and not in a good way.

The flanges Timmy found are a handy one for the memory banks, but only suit Front Discs, I see they have nothing 'matching' available for the Rear Hub, which is a little odd.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

Here's a thunk - how different are Rover 100 drive flanges to the earlier Metro ones?

#12 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

Thanks guys, no wander why you never see mini's with anything other than superlites ;-(  

I can get blank mags where they have an offset from 0-35 or something like that where you say what you want and they mill the back off the mag to get the required ET but you do pay a premium.  

I reckon I need a ET of about 10 for a 15x7 mag to have the clearance on the suspension side.  So is this any different than me ordering a 35 ET mag and having a 25mm spacer.  Doesn't this bring the wheel down to a 10 ET and so is still going to have the same extra positive radius scrub issues?  

Anyway the question I really need to know is if I do go ahead with the wheel spacer, the manufacturer want too know what is the hub diameter of my mini moke?  Where do I measure this?  

Thanks 

Brad

#13 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

theres a thing called wobble nuts, but imo they are *******

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:43 AM

By my back of the envelope numbers, at 15 x 7" you'd want an ET +16 if running with the stock spacered drums / discs, given that you're considering custom PCD to suit the Moke (a wiser move).

Jack runs 15 x 7's (this was during his build, it sits much lower than this)

eSAlmmO.jpg

#15 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 08:01 AM

I don,t think you can get a better answer from Moke,  Jobs a good one !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users