#1 IrishDave

IrishDave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:12 PM

Hi All,

So I’m in the process of removing the pedal box to clean up and repaint etc, iv also decided I might as well upgrade the steering column bracket, iv noticed everyone gives out about the steering wheel position so might as well do this upgrade now.. (iv yet to drive my mini, bought it as a rolling shell)..

Firstly, I can’t for the life of me figure out how to remove the bracket, I thought the top bolts were what I had to remove and made the mistake of trying to loosen them for awhile before I figure out they were fixed ??
The bottom head of the bolt is just flat/rounded so I’m completely lost.. can anyone tell me how to loosen these.

Secondly, any advice on which upgraded bracket, I’m not buying the expensive Stevenson Motor ones, just a simple one will do..

Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

You'll need to either drill or grind the top off the bolt, you may be able to grind a slot and get a flat head screw driver in to undo it.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,947 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

sheer bolts. you will need to either cut a slot and unscrew or grind the heads off. you could also drill the heads off.

#4 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:26 PM

You can loosen them with a sharp chisel. They are shear bolts. 5/16 threaded bolts I think. I replaced them with cap headed bolts and thread locked them.

#5 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:31 PM

If you want a strong bracket I would recommend one sold by Tom_Kidd on eBay.
Fits perfectly and very strong.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

The shear bolts were fitted for security when steering column locks were introduced to stop thieves unbolting the column. Sometimes the factory left the hex heads on without shearing them off.....

#7 IrishDave

IrishDave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I did some research on shear bolts.. I understand now, getting the chisel out tomorrow then, thanks guys! Can always rely on this forum to help with my silly questions!

Thanks again!

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:03 AM

I prefer a centre punch but with either tool put a dint near the edge and then use angled blows to drift it the bolt round until it's slack enough. Doesn't always work but it's quickest & least messy when it does.

There's not much wrong with the original steering wheel position unless your legs or driver's seat makes it an issue, but if you do lower it be sure to slacken the rack U bolts before moving the column & do 'em up after.

#9 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Link?

#10 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:49 PM

Can anyone explain the reason why there is a yellow washer thingy ?

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Allows the bottom dash rail and the pedal box to slide relative to each other in an accident

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:20 PM

Link?

https://www.ebay.co....F0AAOSwnHZYjZCA

#13 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:20 PM

I removed sheer bolts by locking together two nuts with a short length of sawn off bolt, make sure it only engages with half the threads of one of the nuts, wind this end onto the sheer bolt with a suitable spanner and it will lock onto the sheer bolt thread and slacken it, no need for dremels or hammer and chisels

Attached Files

Edited by Revd, 08 September 2020 - 03:21 PM.

#14 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:57 PM

To remove these shear bolts you select a suitable sized Torx bit and drill. Drill the bolt head then hammer in the Torx bit. This makes for a tight fit ,the hammer blows help to loosen the fixture,  then unscrew the whole assemble.

#15 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:30 PM

Before doing anything further, you should really consider keeping the stock setup. My car came to me with a drop bracket fitted. Though the steering wheel felt more like modern cars at that angle, I found my knees were in contact with it unless I held legs bowed out to the sides. Quite uncomfortable after half an hour or more. Im 6'1", long in the loins. I removed the drop backet and just positioned column back up to original location and bolted up. The wheel now sits completely clear of my legs, even when getting on the brake pedal. Yes wheel looks and feels a bit odd compared to others but it really grows on you and drives just fine.

by the way, when changing the column angle, always be sure to release the steering rack U bolts to allow rack to rotate to new angle. Otherwise you will stress the shaft to rack splined connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users