Photo
- - - - -

Help In Identifying What This Engine Part Is?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

Hello community.  I am really struggling, no help from the Haynes manual, to:

a) identify what this component is, and what it does (red arrow in attached picture);

b) then to know what the consequence is if the rubber pipe is almost completely kinked in 2 places (yellow highlight in photo.

What issues might I expect if this rubber pipe is very much kinked?

(Mini Mayfair, 1000, 1984)Attached File  mini engine part.JPG   44.36K   3 downloads

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

Its an oil separator / breather to allow the engine to ventilate any blow by from the pistons and keep the crank case pressure slightly negative.

The pipe goes to the carb, and has a slight vacuum in it.. the pipe should not be kinked.

Kinking the pipe will potentailly allow crank case pressure to build up resulting in oil leaks

#3 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

It’s the tappet cover breather canister, the rubber pipe connects it to the carb to reduce pressure in the crankcase. If the pipe is kinked it can cause oil leaks as pressure builds in the crankcase and also cause poor running as the carb isn’t drawing in air as expected.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

number 14 http://www.minispare...ver.aspx?1~2~25

#5 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Great thank you everyone.  Learing so much here!!  Great tip to use minspares for parts the Haynes manual doesn't even mention.  Because mine is an automatic, I believe the non-hose part is #2 here:

http://www.minispare...~.aspx?2~12~117

As for the hose, it was gritty inside, blocked not only by kinks but also gritty soot.  It was not fitted/refitted as per pictures I see, causing the kinking.  It was also brittle, cracks, so can't believe it was a very good vacuum.  I will contact minispares for the right part.

Does anything think there is a chance if this was not 'breathing' properly, it might indirectly add to engine heat?

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

In theory, but very slightly yes the breather could add to heat... but its more likely neglect on all the other aspects of maintenance.... after all if that bit wasnt maintanied why would any other bit have been

#7 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:19 AM

In theory, but very slightly yes the breather could add to heat... but its more likely neglect on all the other aspects of maintenance.... after all if that bit wasnt maintanied why would any other bit have been

Yes, I doubt the cooling system was ever flushed until I did it.  Oil filter also looked very old.  Took several months to diagnose and sort out all the evident electrical faults, too.  No wonder the prior owner was happy to be shot of it, but in a good place now, running very well, with exception of overheating when in slow moving traffic (seperate topic) :)

#8 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:10 AM

One thing I found, if in slow moving traffic put the transmission in Neutral when stationairy. Helps keep the engine temp down as it stops the engine fighting the brakes.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

The most likely way it would cause overheating is at the other end by messing with the fuel-air mixture. If it lets air in it'd run lean & hot, more so at part throttle.

As everyone is saying it's as likely to just be coincidence. It  might also be running perfectly normally, the temp gauge was never particularly accurate. The main thing is that the needle climbs to the same point and stays there once the engine's well warmed up. Losing water or the heater blowing cold are more important indicators.

#10 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

One thing I found, if in slow moving traffic put the transmission in Neutral when stationairy. Helps keep the engine temp down as it stops the engine fighting the brakes.

Thank you. I do this too (slipping into neutral).

Edited by mullet, 21 September 2020 - 10:28 AM.

#11 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

The most likely way it would cause overheating is at the other end by messing with the fuel-air mixture. If it lets air in it'd run lean & hot, more so at part throttle.

As everyone is saying it's as likely to just be coincidence. It might also be running perfectly normally, the temp gauge was never particularly accurate. The main thing is that the needle climbs to the same point and stays there once the engine's well warmed up. Losing water or the heater blowing cold are more important indicators.

In fact I have another post running on overheating. Not to crossthread topics (maybe you saw it), but one symptom I have is no passenger hot air if below about 30mph, and in slow traffic = overheating. And then I am guessing that's a symptom of a cooling problem. I will update this thread to explain any difference experienced with a new pipe once fitted.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

The heater blows cold when water isn't circulating through it. I had in mind, like, when localised boiling in the head causes a vapour lock. What you describe could be poor air circulation, which you'd feel, because you're not ramming air down the ducting as much. Or it could be a slower water pump doesn't create enough flow to better gunked up plumbing.

The operation of the thermostat would also have a bearing, when it opens there's an easier route to divert flow from the heater.

If the car's new to you it would make a lot of sense to give it a thorough flushing through and refill with antifreeze.

#13 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 03:44 PM

Hello all,

can anybody tell what is supposed to be inside that oil separator cilynder (if anything), if there is a spare part or how can it be cleaned or removed? Thanks

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

Hello all,

can anybody tell what is supposed to be inside that oil separator cilynder (if anything), if there is a spare part or how can it be cleaned or removed? Thanks

Sone wire wool to help the oil vapor to condense. Not a service part.

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,920 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

They are a difficult item to clean.

I have removed the material that's in them and refitted a stainless steel scouring pad, it's somewhat course as anything fine will disintegrate over time and go through the gearbox & engine. If you use one of these, be sure to fine one that's not preloaded with a detergent.

VvNRkLG.jpg

I did see just the other day, someone is offering a type of these that the top comes off for cleaning purposes, I just can't recall who !

<Edit: Found it !   https://minisport.co...ovable-parts    >

Edited by Spider, 19 April 2021 - 08:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users