#1 NuFab

NuFab

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to start getting quotes to paint my mk1. What sort of cost am I looking at? I’ll be asking for all prep to be done, and the car needs painting inside and out and underneath.

Thanks,

Chris

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:16 PM

Ahh, i will say it. "How long is a piece of string??"

The expensive part is the prep as that is the most time consuming. Also factoring in things like Metallic or solid??

So without someone like Ben_O commenting you will probably be looking north of £3k +. I had one quote on my clubby of £6k. Hence why i did everything myself.

#3 NuFab

NuFab

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, I know it’s a ‘get what you pay for’ type thing, I just don’t want to pay more than I have to!

I’d be looking at solid colours, but yeah I’d need all the prep doing... I don’t trust myself to do it. I thought that it’d cost me about £3500, but looking around now that’s probably a bit low ?

#4 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

Is it just a shell or is it on subframes etc?

#5 NuFab

NuFab

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:21 PM

It’s completely stripped, but at the moment it’s on subframes with the steering rack fitted so I can move it around.

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

You do not always get what you pay for sadly,choose carefully.Steve..

#7 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:36 PM

It's hard to find a place that will have room for a spit to do the underneath properly.. It's a big job.

I paid about £3.5k but I don't think they'd ever do another one!

Edited by johnv, 28 September 2020 - 05:38 PM.

#8 NuFab

NuFab

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 05:58 PM

Yeah, this is what’s stressing me out!

in fairness, I’d rather pay more than have to do replace panels again, but what I really don’t want is to pay more and it all go wrong anyway.

It's hard to find a place that will have room for a spit to do the underneath properly.. It's a big job.

I do still have my spit.... maybe I should look at doing the underside myself...

Edited by NuFab, 28 September 2020 - 06:01 PM.

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, this is what’s stressing me out!

I do still have my spit.... maybe I should look at doing the underside myself...

Personally i would. Also with this you can seal the underside of your car to what you would expect. Me being a fussy bugger i went OTT and if i had got a paint shop to do this it would have cost me a fortune. You can be really particular with this part. Now i don't know what you have decided to do with regards to the underside ie Gravitex / Raptor etc.

Paint wise a decent etch primer / Epoxy primer, Gravitex / Raptor then topcoat. With these textured finishes you don't have to be as particular with the finish with regards to topcoat.

So a cheap spray gun, compressor will enable you to do what you need to do. Obviously depending on what paint you use will have an impact on PPE but that is something you need to mull over.

#10 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:32 PM

What condition is the shell in and What is on it with regards to existing paint and primer?

This is always the biggest question when quoting as if there is something on there that either hasn't been applied correctly or is unknown then reactions and shrinking can and does occur.

I've had it before and I won't have it again. It's a nightmare for all involved.

There is no such thing as a cheap respray if you want a decent finish.

bare metal with a flash of etch is the perfect base to start from unless you want you pay the paint shop to strip the paint off bit this can get expensive.

Next question is what needs doing with regards to prep? Are the dents and repair section joins to finish off? Are there welds to finish linishing? Is there panel gaps to adjust and finish off? How far do you want to go and what level of finish do you want?

When I do the paintwork on a shall I have restored, the cost is reasonable as there isn't much to do before applying the paint. I know that its just metal and primer but as sonick4 said, if the painter finds imperfections and ends up doing rework prior to painting, then how long is a piece of string.??

It's impossible to put a price on a job until it has been inspected but even then, don't expect a firm price until the primer is on and the prep is complete.

The interior and underside are best done on a spit but cam be done without.

Cheers

Ben 

#11 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:33 PM

I was asking this myself and was about to put a new post for this, but you guys have already did it. I guess the areas that are not that visible like underneath and the wheel arches is something you can paint yourself? For such a little car above £3k sounds quite a lot, but I guess that is what you have to pay for a job well done. Do you think that quote would be the same countrywide? Here in London everything is more expensive, so it can be then above £4k? Anyone with recent experiences around this area? Thanks.

#12 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:30 PM

I paid 4k south of london. It's not concourse. It's good but there are a couple of tiny bits that need attention. They are happy for me to return it when I have finished putting it back together and sort anything out that might have happened during the rebuild etc
My cousin has a body shop near Kettering way. He said 4k would be concourse literally no bolt with over spray, inside outside everything

Edited by IronmanG, 04 October 2020 - 05:39 PM.

#13 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:48 PM

Can recommend Whights, give them a call and ask.

http://whights.co.uk/

#14 NuFab

NuFab

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ben_O, its good to have your input, puts things in perspective a bit.

I've had a couple of quotes now, and I've found somewhere that feels right for the project and for the right price. I'll post some photos on here when its done; its booked in for January.

For now, I've got plenty to think about to make sure I've got mounting holes etc for everything before paint. I might make up the wiring loom and fuse / relay board in the meantime too.

Cheers,

Chris

#15 Junior Mini

Junior Mini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Can we ask what your ball park quote figure was? 3k? 4k?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users