#1 Conradski

Conradski

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: Hmmmm?

Posted 24 October 2020 - 03:00 PM

Afternoon Folks, I'm about to buy my first Mini, looking at the later models c90-95,as I want to use it as a daily-ish car and also keep it outside. No garage space. Any recommendations on covers to use please?
Also any tips on how to look after these beauts when kept outside.
Cheers
Conrad

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:50 AM

Hi Conrad I have a '95. The injection cars are great although there are more things that can go wrong with the ECU-based electronics. A lot of the problems are traced down to old and worn out parts which are essentially service items - sensors, vacuum hoses, relays etc. Your choice v carb model. That said once things are set up properly it'll start first time every time. The buying advice is always around buying the best you can afford, not worrying about going for the first car you see (there are plenty available), and be aware of hidden rust problems that will only get worse if the car is outside. Lots of help on the forum if you want upload images of potential puschases. Good luck.

#3 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:33 PM

Welcome to the forum and soon-to-be mini ownership  :proud:

Like you're considering, I daily drive a '91 Mini which is kept outside. The first thing I bought after purchasing the car was a decent quality Stormforce fitted cover from Minispares, which cost over £100 but worth it in my opinion. Some people will advise against this type of cover in favour of other options like portable garages and carcoons because of the risk of scratching and moisture buildup, but I've found mine very good so far, and it's ideal since I live in a rented flat where it'd be difficult to build a temporary garage structure!

I think if the car is driven regularly this can actually help in a way, as if a car is kept for a long period of time under a cover without being given the chance to breathe and air out, you start to get a lot more rot and mould buildup. With that in mind I don't actually cover mine every single day, but more so during autumn & spring to protect the paintwork from all the guff that falls off the tree next to my parking spot... I also make a conscious effort to clean the car as regularly as I can to get rid of all the road grime and any salt from winter months, so hopefully this will help to slow the deterioration of the metalwork as much as possible (although I'm well aware that it's a case of "when" rather than "if" it'll start needing welding).

As mentioned above look for the car with the best condition bodywork-wise that'll fit within your budget, mechanical bits are easy and affordable enough to fix, whereas rust repairs can be a nightmare. Personally I'd go for a carb engined car versus injection since they're so much simpler to work on and diagnose any problems, but you may prefer the convenience and somewhat modern feel of an injected car, that'll come down to the sort of experience you want from a mini really!

#4 Conradski

Conradski

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local Club: Hmmmm?

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

I meant to reply to the responses weeks ago - anyway I bought a lovely one owner white/cream Mini 35, 44k miles.  Yes of course some welding and filling is required - usual places, rear wheel arches, o/s outer sill & a part of the floor, a small section of front panel and some rust to the o/s/f wing round the headlight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users