Photo
- - - - -

Kad Quickshift And Handbrake Lever

Best Answer brucecjackson , 13 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

thanks - take all that on board - yes, no need for the internal gear change - but i too like the look 

will work something out - either bending the lever, or moving backwards / new cable

thanks

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brucecjackson

brucecjackson

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

I have a KAD quickshift fitted with the internal gear linkage kit also, and a standard (i think) handbrake set up and lever on my 93 mini rio

The lever is so close to the quickshift, it takes the skin of your knuckles nearly every time it is released !

Has anybody got or seen some ingenious solution to this ? - maybe placing the lever elsewhere (i once had a cater ham where it was sited horizontally in front of the passenger!) - maybe using an aftermarket lever set up

All help gratefully received

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:24 PM

Bend the handbrake lever slightly to move it further away?

#3 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 02:48 PM

The kit comes with a washer to kick it over slightly but yes it is tight, only really use the handbrake when parked up anyway, internal linkage is not ideal for a road car. 

#4 Johnmar

Johnmar

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 06:13 PM

The kit comes with a washer to kick it over slightly but yes it is tight, only really use the handbrake when parked up anyway, internal linkage is not ideal for a road car. 

Can't you shorten the linkage by cutting both bars and re-welding them?

#5 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

Bend the handbrake lever slightly to move it further away?

My handbrake lever has been cut half way through just before the plastic grip, taking care NOT to damage the operating rod that connects the push button to the pivot and locking pawl.  It has the been bent approx. 30 degrees towards the drivers seat and then welded up.

Pushbutton works fine as does the handbrake which sits midway between the gear lever and the drivers seat.

#6 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 10 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

I guess they aren't really meant or needed for road cars but having the gear change inside looks cool (personal opinion here folks) and I'm considering one for my next project (just got to finish the current one...!)

I wondered if it was possible to move the whole handbrake lever with its mountings back by the same amount as the gear change moves back? (with an appropriately shortened cable of course)

Most of the ones I have seen have the lever offset by one or other of the methods mentioned above I think. 

#7 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 09:02 PM

My friends handbrake lever has been moved backwards in his Vauxhall 20XE engined 1980 mini.
The cable had been bodged to shorten it and he had to get a replacement cable properly shortened with crimped fittings.
Possibly more difficult to do if you've got a pre 76 car with twin cables

#8 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:10 AM

You could tilt the handbrake lever, so it comes further up, by fitting an extension bracket to the front mounting point. Because of the arc it would also move further away from the the quickshift and possibly the extension piece could also accomodate some movement towards the drivers seat.

Edited by MiNiKiN, 11 November 2020 - 11:12 AM.

#9 brucecjackson

brucecjackson

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:16 PM   Best Answer

thanks - take all that on board - yes, no need for the internal gear change - but i too like the look 

will work something out - either bending the lever, or moving backwards / new cable

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users