#1 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

Morning All, 

Some time ago I fitted some 1.5 rockers into my SPI - did the sequence and adjusted to 15tho 

My question is 

It still sounds very tappy, I've adjusted 3 times since and again and again it starts to sound tappy after a little while. 

Am I missing something? are they tappier then standard ones?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ade 

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

What setting does the cam maker suggest?

Edited by nicklouse, 16 November 2020 - 12:17 PM.

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:34 PM

Forged steel or alloy roller tip?
My roller tip ones can start to tap on the rocker cover (mg metro alloy) due to expansion after a couple of minutes running if the rocker cover is not perfectly aligned.

#4 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

There mini sport alloy ones.

I changed the rocker cover to a larger one - but hadn't thought of it fouling on the cover in all fairness. Maybe something to look at! 

I'm setting it up with one wheel in the air, taking my time so I know its right.... so was under the impression it was maybe nosier then the original 

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 12:54 PM

I changed the rocker cover to a larger one - but hadn't thought of it fouling on the cover in all fairness. Maybe something to look at! 

I'm setting it up with one wheel in the air, taking my time so I know its right.... so was under the impression it was maybe nosier then the original 

What do you mean by larger? The one that gives the best clearance is the standard steel one. The MG metro one was also ok. But most others catch.

set the rockers any way you want as you don’t need to be that accurate as there is quite a range when the follower is on the base of the lobe.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:52 PM

You do need a proportionally bigger gap over the valve to get the same clearance between the cam & follower. plus the valve will be accelerating faster to open wider in the same time......

The clearance isn't down to the ratio, the cam still lifts its side just as high & the valve side starts 12ish thou above the valve and goes downwards - it's the larger dimensions of rockers.

#7 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:36 PM

What do you mean by larger? The one that gives the best clearance is the standard steel one. The MG metro one was also ok. But most others catch.

set the rockers any way you want as you don’t need to be that accurate as there is quite a range when the follower is on the base of the lobe.

It had the standard black one (with the indents for splash guard), changed to an alloy minispares one. Thing someone told me you need bigger cover for 1.5 rockers. 

Ok, seems like i'm doing it all right anyway.

#8 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:09 PM

I think 1.5's fit ok under the standard steel cover, it's the alloy ones that can cause issues.
I have to make sure I push my mg metro cover towards the carbs when nipping the bolts up. If the rockers catch the cover when its warmed up all I do is give the cover a thump towards the carbs with the palm of my hand, it barely moves, but that's how tight the clearances are.

#9 DB1380

DB1380

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

I do believe its only the back corners of the cover thats a bit tight. If the Rockers are catching you should see the tell tale marks on the cover.

#10 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:18 PM

I think 1.5's fit ok under the standard steel cover, it's the alloy ones that can cause issues.
I have to make sure I push my mg metro cover towards the carbs when nipping the bolts up. If the rockers catch the cover when its warmed up all I do is give the cover a thump towards the carbs with the palm of my hand, it barely moves, but that's how tight the clearances are.

I will defiantly look into the cover, as I'm sure its worse after its warmed up 

#11 Dutchdave's25

Dutchdave's25

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

did you change the push rods? i have an SPI with 1.5 rockers and tuned cilinder head (-3mm). I had to change the pushrods, i believe i swapped them to push rods off a 998 since they're a little shorter.

hope this helps.

#12 Ade-Cooper

Ade-Cooper

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:13 PM

did you change the push rods? i have an SPI with 1.5 rockers and tuned cilinder head (-3mm). I had to change the pushrods, i believe i swapped them to push rods off a 998 since they're a little shorter.

hope this helps.

No standard push rods and standard head - was advised just straight swap with original rockers. But interesting to say the least 

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 06:35 PM

hope this helps.

No standard push rods and standard head - was advised just straight swap with original rockers. But interesting to say the least 

Generally this is not needed.

#14 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:37 PM

Is the rocker shaft worn....if so no tappet adjustment will help,...1.5 rockers accelerate the wear too...and yes 1.5s are noiser than std esp at low revs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users