#1 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:53 AM

She recalled a time when she was in New Road, Brighton, when a Mini in flames careered down the street before crashing and burning out.

Councillor Shanks said: “A Mini rally seems to me ridiculous.

https://www.brighton...ing-councillor/

#2 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Sadly covid 19 has been used as a reason to stop many traditional celebrations and ways of life that were taken for granted. Cycle lanes in large towns and cities introduced without consultation. Restrictions on our freedom and mobility without proper parliamentary scrutiny, mass changes to health care, family life, all introduced to ‘protect us and keep us safe’. Sadly the internal combustion motor car is also now bad for us and must be removed from the road.

Yet another example here of demonising our old way of life, so sad, for the first time in my 47 years on this earth I really am not looking forward to the future and think we’ve had the best of life before covid. Our lives are being changed at a pace and speed never seen before and it’s grim.

#3 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:53 AM

Ooh imagine that, another priveleged individual, telling us lesser mortals what we should be doing.

What next, Charles Windsor and his muckers telling us 'You'll own nothing and be happy' ........ oh wait a minute.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 23 November 2020 - 07:56 AM.

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

I'll just leave this here

worth highlighting the annual economic contribution of these historic motoring events which probably runs into tens of millions of pounds.

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:52 AM

i suspect whoever runs the editorial policy (..if they have one..) for brightonandhovenews.org is no fan of the councillor shanks and/or the green party otherwise they might have led with the fact that the committee gave consent for the full programme of events in 2021

edit: fixed my grammar  :proud:

Edited by KTS, 23 November 2020 - 02:52 PM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:54 AM

The comments are interesting, can't help wondering how similar they'd be to those of 1899 when the first L2B brought change to their pebbles.

Were any electric vehicles involved I wonder?

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:42 PM

Carbon Zero Mini approved by Brighton Council for the 2021 London to Brighton Mini Run.... :D

JDV9ku2.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 23 November 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#8 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:17 PM

My Mini is carbon neutral, I purchase all my fuel on my Shell Go card and Shell undertake to purchase carbon credits to offset or compensate for the Mini's emissions.

The problem with electric cars is you don't know how the electricity you use to charge your car is generated ?

#9 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Sadly covid 19 has been used as a reason to stop many traditional celebrations and ways of life that were taken for granted. Cycle lanes in large towns and cities introduced without consultation. Restrictions on our freedom and mobility without proper parliamentary scrutiny, mass changes to health care, family life, all introduced to ‘protect us and keep us safe’. Sadly the internal combustion motor car is also now bad for us and must be removed from the road.

Yet another example here of demonising our old way of life, so sad, for the first time in my 47 years on this earth I really am not looking forward to the future and think we’ve had the best of life before covid. Our lives are being changed at a pace and speed never seen before and it’s grim.

Could not agree more. We are existing not living. So glad I am north of 50.

#10 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:32 PM

Typical Green Party council comments
I went to Brighton this year for the first time in a while and was shocked and appalled at the state of Madeira drive, most of the steps are shut and the structure is falling down and deemed unsafe for use
The toilets at the far end are burnt out and is used as a hotel by the homeless.

Apparently it will cost about 15 million to repair and can only be done by disassembling , taking away to be fixed off site
and reassembling once fixed (I’m sure a cheaper option could be found)

Maybe the council should have used some of the money raised by car events such as l2b and Brighton breeze to
Keep the cast iron structure in good condition and not spend it on cycle lanes

If they are not careful it will rust and rot away like the west pier which is another eyesore which was supposed to be rebuilt

Just my opinion

#11 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

You're right, Maderia Drive is a disgrace.  I live near Brighton and work in Hove.  A once grand city is crumbling away.  Might ask for a refund on my 2020 L2B ticket as I am not sure I want to go to a place where I'm not welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users