8 replies to this topic

#1 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

So I have been doing the long and arduous task of changing all my suspension components.

Having issues removing one of my rubber cones, passenger side was fine tool lined up top arms out no problem.

However I can't get the driver's side to line up. It feels like it's getting a couple of threads on then pops off again. I have tried jacking the hub up to help align it but no luck. Have also tried removing rebound buffer and dropping it all the way down...that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any tips I can try. I don't know whether or not the threads have gone on the cone or just where it's sagged it won't line up. Car is a 1993 Mayfair so certain it has Metric threaded cones.

Is it possible/safe to cut the trumpet out at all. If I dropped the hub and suspension all the way down would that relieve some of the pressure. My cones that have already come off are very sagged and dead so not sure how much energy is left in them.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Ed

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

With the shock off, can you lift the top arm by hand?  That will tell you roughly just how much force the cone is exerting.

Can you see the threaded section of the cone if you peer down through the crossmember? That will tell you if it is out of alignment.

It is possible to smash the aluminium trumpet with a hammer and chisel to remove it.

If the cone is well collapsed it is even possible to remove the top arm pin.

Neither are probably 'recommended' and both are at your own risk - keep your fingers well out of the way!!!

(I would never be too sure that both cones are metric - one may have been changed in the past)

#3 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:45 PM

I'll try lift the top arm when I can get back on the car. But from memory it was quite difficult. We did have a look done through the subframe and it did look like the cone was misaligned, which was what made me think of that.

If I was to grind the trumpet in half (I know not recommended and comes with its own risks) although not sure I have much choice. Would it best to remove the rebound rubber to ensure top arm is at maximum drop?
I'm assuming cutting would be preferable to trying to remove the top arm as keeps hands more out the way?

Tia

#4 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:47 PM

Also I would have thought if the cone had been replaced it would've been replaced with a metric cone? I have owned the car since 2006 so don't think it's been replaced as the car was only 13yrs old when I bought it.

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 30 November 2020 - 06:57 PM

Look through the triangular hole in the front of the subframe,the seam on the cone should be parallel with the top.If you are not careful when refitting it is possible that it has not seated correctly when installed.Pick your favourite destructive method to remove it.Be careful.Steve..

#6 Revd

Revd

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:55 AM

Have a close look at threads on the cone compressor - might benefit from dressing with a knife-edge file

#7 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:16 PM

I've had cones where a bit if rubber has got on the thread. A bit of downward pressure when screwing the tool in helped. Obviously extra care needs to be taken to keep the pressure in the right direction and turn it gently to ensure you're not crossing the threads.

#8 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:50 PM

Thanks from all the tips. I'll let you know how I get on.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:21 PM

If the tower tool will not engage you will need to smash the aluminium trumpet. That way is far safer than risking losing your fingers if the tool lets go when you only think it has fully engaged.
I have had to do this a couple of times. First drill some holes into the cone in a horizontal line to create a 'fault line". Then, whilst wearing eye and hand protection, use a 1" wide chisel and a club hammer to frscture the trumpet along the fault line. Once fractured it is easy to remove the loose bits.
Then remove the top arm and the cone will come out? Probably with a circle of trumpet still stuck to it.
Best to replace both trumpets with Hi-Lo's.

Edited by Cooperman, 01 December 2020 - 08:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users