• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

What's a ogod MIG welder to buy for my son to do bodywork, etc?

I have an old and fairly powerful 180 Miller, but I don't know what the current scene for MIGs is like.

I've been looking at Sealey stuff and I don't want gas-less.

It's just for when he needs to do a bit of bodywork repairs and steel fabrication up to about 1/4" maximum thickness.

What are you guys using and how good are they?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:51 PM

I picked this up at the start of the year. I like.

https://www.theminif...s-have-it-easy/

#3 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 01:04 AM

https://www.ebay.co....3IAAOSwMmBV3ywd

buy this its fantastic for the price.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,884 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:14 AM

I have an old and fairly powerful 180 Miller, but I don't know what the current scene for MIGs is like.

It's just for when he needs to do a bit of bodywork repairs and steel fabrication up to about 1/4" maximum thickness.

Shhhhhhh,,,,,,,, I think I smell a Christmas Prezzy coming on ;D

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:01 AM

Definitely in inverter one like the two linked to - much smaller and lighter than transformer based machines and just as good (if not better).

A very popular choice is the R-Tech 180 - bit more expensive but better quality internals, 3 yr warranty and their after sales is very good.

Noz-alls in Cheltenham also do some reasonably kit with good after sales. I have their older ‘own brand’ machine which has been excellent.

It is a tool I prefer to buy from a ‘shop’ (not just a box shifter) - the cheaper Chinesium ones can be good, but there are a lot of bits that can fail (wire feeds, circuit boards, inverters....) so after sales is worthwhile paying a little extra for.

#6 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:31 AM

Whats the view on combined mig/ arc welder inverters? I went searching to buy a conventional arc welder and surprised to find they are a thing of the past! Ideally id like both options but don't want to spend a fortune it will be for occasional use only. Any recommendations?

Edited by surfblue, 01 December 2020 - 07:32 AM.

#7 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:43 AM

I like 'Stahlwerk'

https://www.stahlwer...e/MIG-MAG-175_1

Will be my next Welder, once I upgrade from my Clarke 135TE turbo

#8 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:59 AM

Id buy the most powerful one that runs on a standard socket. I did.

#9 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:00 AM

Without double checking mines a clarke 135 turbo.

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:24 AM

Whats the view on combined mig/ arc welder inverters? I went searching to buy a conventional arc welder and surprised to find they are a thing of the past! Ideally id like both options but don't want to spend a fortune it will be for occasional use only. Any recommendations?

There are loads of MMA arc welders available, and with inverter technology they are almost pocket sized.  Even the top brand ones do them at under £200.

I don't see why the invertor MIG/MMA ones won't work just as well as two separate units though - again I would recommend talking to a shop and getting their advice on the makes they sell.

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:36 AM

Without double checking mines a clarke 135 turbo.

The Clarke stuff used to be reasonable hobby kit, but these days it really is old hat - big, heavy and not as powerful

Clarke135TE      30-130A   29kg   680x350x470   £300

RTech MIG180   25-180A   14kg   330x210x410   £475 (with TMF+ discount)  3yr warranty!

OK the RTech is one of the dearer ones, but all the other recommended ones will be smaller, lighter and more powerful than the Clarke.  Probably more reliable too.

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:37 AM

Pete - it is really worth having a good browse on the mig-welding.co.uk forum - there is a minefield of useful info on there.

#13 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:17 AM

Bigger than you will need for just car use but I have an R-Tech 250 Mig and it works very well. Much better than my old Sip welder it replaced.

Good customer service too.

Make sure what ever you get has a EURO plug torch. A lot of the cheaper ones are permanently wired in and a pain to change or get spares.

Check the duty cycles and minimum current rating as well.

Inverter MIG/ARC welders work fine, just remember you need to check the polarity of the cables when swapping from MIG to ARC.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:10 PM

Pete - it is really worth having a good browse on the mig-welding.co.uk forum - there is a minefield of useful info on there.

Thanks Graeme,

It is just for mainly bodywork on his RS2000 ( I think you were on the same event as he was a couple of weeks ago) rally car. 

Occassional use only, so not a huge power requirement. If he needs some thick steel welding, say 1/4", he can bring it here and I can use my big Miller set which has worked very well for over 20 years.

Not sure about the Sealey ones, although I believe the Clarke are quite good. Don't need gas-less.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:53 PM

Shhhhhhh,,,,,,,, I think I smell a Christmas Prezzy coming on ;D

That's quite right Chris.

But I will let him know he is getting one so that he doesn't go and buy one himself as I know he intends to.

At the moment the Gas/gasless Clarke 151EN is looking good for exactly what he needs.

There is a funny bit of a story as to how I got my big Miller one a long time ago. I bought a fairly small 'hobby' Mig from a fairly local guy who advertised in the local papers and worked from home. After using it for about 3 years it was not feeding wire too well, so I called up the guy from whom I had bought it. He had opened a shop in a nearby town since we were last in contact. He offered to do a service and said he would lend me another one whilst he did so. He came round and delivered an ex-demo large 180 amp Miller professional one and took mine away. After about 6 weeks I had heard nothing so I called in at the shop whilst I was out that way. The shop was all closed up and the guy had gone broke. No-one ever contacted me and I guess the stock, including my little MIG had been sold off. I simply kept the big Miller unit which has performed fantastically and done a lot of restoration work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users