8 replies to this topic

#1 Mayfair94

Mayfair94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:36 PM

Attached File  trim.EDCB37B0-10E9-4FE1-A533-9FFEC1DC390D.MOV   1.7MB   12 downloadsHi,

Started my 95 SPI today for the 1st time in 4 years. After looking at some previous threads, I removed the spark plugs 1st and put some oil down into the bores. I then made sure the engine was free to rotate and then turned the engine over until the oil pressure light went out.

I then put the old spark plugs back in (expecting them to get a bit oily) and attempted a start. It started 1st time and seemed to run ok. Out the back though there was a lot of smoke and it was still smoking after about 5 mins. I was expecting a bit of smoke as I put oil through the spark plug holes. My question though is, does it look like this smoke is white (possible head gasket?) or a tinge of blue?

If it is suspected to be oil, how long can it take to burn off? Should I be worried?

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by Mayfair94, 01 December 2020 - 07:41 PM.

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:09 PM

Let it get properly hot and then leave overnight and start again tomorrow.

Its probably just the oil you put down the bores, but to be safe check the water level in the radiator and under the oil breather cap for mayonnaise 

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 01 December 2020 - 08:10 PM.

#3 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

I agree with the above as the inital test / trial.

Standing for 4 years there will be a lot of condensation etc in the exhaust ways, and 5 mins is not a lot of time to get an exhaust hot properly, and today is very cold, so I would let it idle for at least 20 mins giving it the odd rev now and then and as has been said do keep an eye on fluids, maybe a gasket has let go after 4 yrs, but the intial test would be to make sure that exhaust is "dry" inside from oil and water vapour..

#4 Mayfair94

Mayfair94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:24 PM

Cheers FS and MMR for quick response.

I will try that next, might have put too much oil down the bores. Need to replace the vacuum hoses as I found the connection at the ECU hanging off. Will probably drain the radiator and clean out also and test thermostat before next run. Oil and filter already changed.

Thanks again guys.

#5 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:08 AM

Fair dues if it fired up first time after four years!

#6 Mayfair94

Mayfair94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:03 AM

Fair dues if it fired up first time after four years!

Yeah I was very pleased, started pretty much instantly. I do now have an oil leak which wasn’t there before. I thought it may have been the sump plug after an oil change, but it seems to accumulate at the bottom of the gearbox casing (sump plug side). The only other thing I can think of, looking at the forums on here, is the gear selector seal on the gearbox as I had the car is gear 4 to turn the engine over. Probably the 1st time I have moved the gearstick in 4 years also, so maybe induced a leak?

#7 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

The seals do harden over time, and the d shaft ones and gear selector ones do suffer from "standing"

#8 Mayfair94

Mayfair94

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 02:46 PM

Bit of an update. I replaced the vacuum hoses with 3mm silicone tubing as recommended on other threads. In addition to the vacuum pipe I found off at the ECU, the red one had also come off at the back of the manifold. I drained the engine coolant and flushed it through, I was going to use rad cleaner but the water ran clear quite quickly and there wasn't much sludge at the bottom. I fitted a new thermostat and auxiliary fan temp switch/sealing rubber as I drained the system from there. I have now fitted 4 new spark plugs also.

After running the engine for about 20 minutes the white emissions and water from the exhaust had pretty much gone. I had a look under the oil breather cap and there were no signs of mayonnaise. I started it again today and there was a bit of exhaust vapour/water in the exhaust but nowhere near as bad as the 1st time I started the engine (as in the video). So at the moment I'm hoping it's not a head gasket, but will be keeping a very close eye on coolant levels etc. 

As for my oil leak..... I wanted to do the valve adjustments whilst doing all the work above. When I took the rocker cover off, the cork gasket was brittle and came off in about 3 bits. I had ordered a new one anyway as I knew the valve adjustments were going to be done. I think when I changed my oil (before the oil leak), when filling the engine back up with new oil and the rocker cover becoming full until the oil drained down, fresh oil has gone through the perished cork gasket and down the back of the engine. This then made a small puddle. I replaced the sump plug copper washer with a new item and after running the engine, so far no major leaks like before. So hopefully a small win there.

Thanks again all for your help. I now have another issue with the engine idle speed, stuttering and 'popping' in the inlet manifold when putting the accelerator down quickly. Need to read the great threads and tips by Sprocket and FlyingScot again to start troubleshooting that!

Cheers.  

#9 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

Just for others who read this threat. On engines with catalytic converter it is not the best idea to put some oil in the cylinder before starting! And of course it depends on the amount too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users