3 replies to this topic

#1 oh.go.on.then

oh.go.on.then

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 11:08 PM

Can anyone give me a guide to what I should be paying for someone to replace an outer sill please?

Overal Inner sill ok but small amount of repair as sill meets floor. I can also see the inner sill at rear in the companion bin will need a repair.

I know there are variables but I have no idea what to expect to pay a repairer? I'm not sure if I'm to expect £100 or £500 so any guide would be great to help me plan.

Thanks guys

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,376 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:40 AM

It really is an impossible question to answer, other than saying £100 would be too cheap an estimate to expect a proper job to be delivered on budget.

I can suggest where you're likely to get the best value....

Do it yourself, even if that involves finding somebody to do the welding.

Find someone who does it as a hobby rather than to make a living. Amateur motorsport or the agricultural sector would be likely hunting grounds.

Look for a small independent "jobbing" garage that could cut you a deal if you're prepared to wait, so they can do it in their slack time between other jobs.

Don't bother with body shops, particularly if they do insurance work.

Anybody with the experience to do the job won't quote, unless it's grossly exaggerated, because they'll know it's not until you've got the old sill off that the full horror is exposed!

#3 oh.go.on.then

oh.go.on.then

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:55 AM

It really is an impossible question to answer, other than saying £100 would be too cheap an estimate to expect a proper job to be delivered on budget.

I can suggest where you're likely to get the best value....

Do it yourself, even if that involves finding somebody to do the welding.

Find someone who does it as a hobby rather than to make a living. Amateur motorsport or the agricultural sector would be likely hunting grounds.

Look for a small independent "jobbing" garage that could cut you a deal if you're prepared to wait, so they can do it in their slack time between other jobs.

Don't bother with body shops, particularly if they do insurance work.

Anybody with the experience to do the job won't quote, unless it's grossly exaggerated, because they'll know it's not until you've got the old sill off that the full horror is exposed!

Thank you! Good advice

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:58 AM

If the inner sill has gone at the back and again further forward, then a replacement inner sill would make for a far nicer job.

The other things to factor in are the jacking point, the door step panel, the heel board end and the flitch panel behind the a panel.

There are all areas j have seen time and again that need attention when replacing sills so it's best to assume they will need doing.

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users