12 replies to this topic

#1 cjreyn

cjreyn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:08 PM

Hi. I am doing a front cv joint, hub, bearing, ball joint, and brake replacement on my 1989 mini thirty. 

I have bought new CV joints, which were fitted to the original driveshafts with a new circlip and packed with grease. The hubs/bearings/ball joints were a built set from minisport. 

The nearside is fine, but the offside has slight play when I rock the brake disc. The play occurs up/down and left/right. I don't think it's coming from the suspension as the wobble doesn't occur if I rock the brake caliper. Also, I observe the CV boot clip (large one) moving slightly relative to the static hub when rocking the disc.

I followed the Haynes instructions to tighten up the assembly by using the special washer and then torque-ing up (250Nm) to pull everything together.

Any ideas as to what this might be? My thoughts so far are:

- Broken circlip: I pushed the CV joints on rather than compressing the circlip with pliers. It went on with a few firm pushes as the CV joint was greased. Maybe it broke?

- Wheel bearing: broken/distorted, incorrectly aligned?

- CV joint: some issue with the internals?

Is this play normal and just a result of the CV joint moving in some way? I would guess not as the nearside seems to have no play at all.

Cheers

Chris

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:10 PM   Best Answer

Sounds like wheel bearings to me.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:16 PM

Bad wheelbearings imo. What brand bearings are they? You want Timken bearings but what I'd do is call the company you bought them from and see if they'll send the Timken bearings to you, or atleast replace the current set.

However I believe Minisport have poor customer service

Edited by cal844, 13 December 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:23 PM

I agree it sounds wheel bearing, but maybe check and rule out the steering track rod arms... I think its very very unlikely its anything to do with them, but its the only thing maybe you havent checked.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:36 PM

If you have play at 3 and 9 and also at 12 and 6 then the wheel bearings are not tight.

the C clip has nothing to do with it.

Play at 12 and 6 is ball joints. Play at 3 and 9 is steering parts.

#6 cjreyn

cjreyn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:01 PM

Thanks all. Is it possible the bearings are just miss-aligned? Would a slacken off of the whole CV joint/hub assembly, then re-torque potentially fix the issue?

#7 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:06 PM

I had a similar issue and was scratching my head for a while as I couldn't see any issue with the bearing or ball joint until I realised the steering arm was loose on the hub

I thought I had tightened everything during the rebuild but obviously not - tightened the bolts and the play/movement was gone 

#8 cjreyn

cjreyn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 11:32 PM

@mini-mad-mark, that's interesting. My steering arms have not yet been connected up to the steering track rod ends. The bolts for the steering arms are torqued up and the locktabs engaged.

I'm wondering if I can get away with just slackening everything off and then re-tightening...

No idea what the bearing make is, but my guess is they are the cheap ones as minisport  don't specify.

#9 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:47 PM

I assume the wheel bearing was greased? Do they come pre-greased as a built unit?

#10 cjreyn

cjreyn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:13 PM

Yes the bearings are greased. According to minisport, the intention is that they are all greased and ready to go. I tried slackening and re-torquing and the problem persists. I have the choice now between sending the whole hub/bearing/ball joint assembly back for them to replace the bearing, or replacing the bearing (probably with a higher quality timken one) myself.

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:06 PM

Personally I'd politely request that they refund you the cost of Timken bearings, then fit them yourself as you'll know what you have then.

You'll probably get told no for the above but I can guarantee they'll refit the hubs with the cheaper bearings.

Edited by cal844, 14 December 2020 - 05:07 PM.

#12 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:11 PM

I recently needed a new hub, bearing and ball joints, and I opted to buy all separately so I could buy timken bearings. I brought the bearing from Guessworks and never looked back

#13 cjreyn

cjreyn

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:22 PM

@monkey, I ended up doing the same, i.e. buying a timken bearing from guessworks and replacing the minisport supplied one. The wheel play has now gone.

Thanks to all who commented.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users