15 replies to this topic

#1 Pierce5299

Pierce5299

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:45 PM

Hello, I’ve got a set of LP918 reversed rim wheels and I’m looking to put them on my mini without the addition of wheel arches. The car is running with disc brakes. I am wondering how I can get the wheels on without them sticking out of the standard arches. Most people I see with these wheels are still running drum breaks.
Any advice?

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 01:51 PM

Simply, you can't (or certainly not with 165 tyres). The LP918 was designed for drum brakes, with the extra track width of the disc brakes they will stick out.

Using 145 tyres might make them borderline, but the tyre is then a little stretched.

#3 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:16 PM

I've seen the below car in person which belongs to a member of the local mini group, and it's running reverse rims with 165 tyres on a Cooper S disk brake setup, and no arch extensions. It was featured in the Nov 2020 edition of Mini Mag if you wanted to have a closer look in there. I noticed the wheels do poke out a bit on the front, though not as much as I was expecting considering they are reverse rims. But essentially if you want to avoid any protrusion of the wheels from the bodyline, you'll either have to fit arches or opt for the LP883/replicas of those instead, as they're designed for disk brake offset to tuck in nicely in the standard arch.

QQHnoew.jpg

0v7fYwg.jpg

edited for clearer photos I found on my camera!

Edited by MiniCarJack, 14 December 2020 - 02:21 PM.

#4 Pierce5299

Pierce5299

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 02:45 PM

The car currently has 165 tyres on standard versions of the wheels, with the inset I’m trying to achieve. Is there not any different discs that will allow me to put the reversed version onto the car?

#5 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:22 PM

The car currently has 165 tyres on standard versions of the wheels, with the inset I’m trying to achieve. Is there not any different discs that will allow me to put the reversed version onto the car?

I don't think there are any aftermarket discs that would narrow the track width compared to standard 7.5" or 8.4" brakes. When you say standard version of the wheels, do you mean the LP883 type? Or 3.5" steelies? 

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:16 PM

Nope - all the same.

#7 Pierce5299

Pierce5299

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:38 PM

I don't think there are any aftermarket discs that would narrow the track width compared to standard 7.5" or 8.4" brakes. When you say standard version of the wheels, do you mean the LP883 type? Or 3.5" steelies? 

Lp883 replicas from minisports

Edited by Pierce5299, 14 December 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#8 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:39 PM

You could use 7" cooper disks.. They're really not as bad as people say

#9 Pierce5299

Pierce5299

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:45 PM

You could use 7" cooper disks.. They're really not as bad as people say

so long as they stop better than drums, ill have to look into them

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:56 PM

Why do you want to swap LP883 for LP918s - is it just for the look?  Usually LP883 are far more desirable for the proper Cooper S look.

7" Cooper brakes are marginally better than badly adjusted drums, but not as good as well adjusted drums.

Drums go from OK to crap depending on adjustment - ie they need regular maintenance. 7" discs go from poor to poor - but at least they're consistent!

If you presently have 7.5" disc brakes and look to go to 7" brakes you will notice a CONSIDERABLE degradation in braking.

#11 Pierce5299

Pierce5299

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:05 PM

Why do you want to swap LP883 for LP918s - is it just for the look?  Usually LP883 are far more desirable for the proper Cooper S look.

7" Cooper brakes are marginally better than badly adjusted drums, but not as good as well adjusted drums.

Drums go from OK to crap depending on adjustment - ie they need regular maintenance. 7" discs go from poor to poor - but at least they're consistent!

If you presently have 7.5" disc brakes and look to go to 7" brakes you will notice a CONSIDERABLE degradation in braking.

ive got 2 minis, 1977 mini 1000 and a 1966 super deluxe, the super deluxe currently has the lp883 wheels which im looking to move over to the 1977 mini and put the revered rims on to the super deluxe, the 1977 has drums all round and the 1966 has discs, i believe they are 7.5" discs
the 1977 mini has rusty standard 3.5" steel wheels which

Edited by Pierce5299, 14 December 2020 - 05:17 PM.

#12 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 14 December 2020 - 05:23 PM

Why do you want to swap LP883 for LP918s - is it just for the look? Usually LP883 are far more desirable for the proper Cooper S look.

They're clearly not as good as S disks but I think it's a tad subjective to say that they're not as good as TLS brakes.. I would disagree ;-)

#13 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

Sounds like your '77 has currently got the perfect setup for reverse rims with its standard drums, while your '66 has got the perfect setup for Lp883 'S' wheels. Swapping those wheels over onto the opposite cars would be less than ideal without faffing around with the brake setup on both cars - you'd probably find the 883s foul on the inner edge against the shocks on the '77 because they sit farther into the wheel arch than designed, while the Lp918 reverse rims will stick too far out on your 66 because of the wider track.

#14 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:30 PM

In my opinion L:P 918s are the best looking wheel ever for a mini

#15 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:42 PM

Having just fitted a set of genuine old Dunlop Reverse rims, I can tell you they will not clear legal tolerances.

As you can see from the photos in this album: https://imgur.com/a/kb4iJyP

Measured by holding a flat bar in the middle of the tire and then measuring the distance from the arch lip, the front sticks out roughly 48mm, the rear 43mm.

Tire pressure is 2.2bar, freshly built subframes without any weight on them bar the shell. Front brakes are 7.5" 'Cooper S' discs from Minisport, rear are the later drums.

No amount of deluxe trim is going to bring that within legal limits. I suspect people who say (and show) that it works on their car including 165 tires are caught up in the confusion of what reverse rims actually are.

Edited by Spherix, 17 January 2021 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users