#1 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:28 PM

Hi all,

I currently have my block about ready to send off for machining flat and installing new camshaft bushes.

These ones: https://www.mccsengi...-minor-mini-etc

However, due to the Covid-related closure of the french borders, Minispares can't send out again until jan 4th, and by the time I get it, it's probably going to be the 10th at the earliest. This order contains my new camshaft.

Do these bushings need reaming to accept my new camshaft (the Evolution001), or is that a standard size, with no further work needed? If not, I can already send out the block and keep going with my rebuild rather than sitting on my thumbs for 3 weeks.

Cheers

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 December 2020 - 06:05 PM

Normally they are the correct size when fitted. BUT some may need a little work with a bearing scraper.

#3 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:09 PM

Is that something that can be done without a machine shop? Or am I better off just waiting for the parts to come in?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

Is that something that can be done without a machine shop? Or am I better off just waiting for the parts to come in?

OK let’s put it this way. 

do you have a bearing scraper?

who will be fitting the cam bearings? Make sure they have the cam so they can check all is good.

Edited by nicklouse, 29 December 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#5 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:13 PM

Friend of mine does. The cam bearing will be fitted by a machine shop (don't have the tools to do that properly myself) I don't have the cam yet and quite likely won't for the next few weeks as Minispares has serious issues shipping to the EU (Belgium) ATM due to covid/the border closure/Brexit.

#6 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

Friend of mine does. The cam bearing will be fitted by a machine shop (don't have the tools to do that properly myself) I don't have the cam yet and quite likely won't for the next few weeks as Minispares has serious issues shipping to the EU (Belgium) ATM due to covid/the border closure/Brexit.

Contact me if the cam wouldn’t fit. I can scrape them. Live close to Gent atm.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:56 PM

Ok then, when you get the cam if it fits no worries if it does not the see above.

#8 super6al

super6al

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:26 PM

Hi

For what its worth, I have just fitted the Evo cam with mini spares new cam bearings (I used a manufactured tool to draw them in). They were a perfect fit - with no reaming required.

Alan.

#9 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:55 PM

Thanks all. As the shipment should leave the 4th (supposedly), I might as well wait. If it doesn't get sent by then I'll just roll the dice and take it in anyway.

#10 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

Well, I still haven't received any updates with regards to shipment, so tomorrow I'm going to make arrangements with the machine shop to take care of the bushes and skimming the irregularities out. It's worth a shot, I can always take it back should I need to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users