16 replies to this topic

#1 bilbocamper72

bilbocamper72

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:50 PM

Hi can anyone help? My electric fuel pump sometimes doesn’t make the clicking sound and it looks very old.so I’m going to replace it but I don’t know what to get.mini sport do one for £56.but there are cheaper ones on eBay.my engine is 1330 fast rd with hif44

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

I've used a number of these now

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

and I have found them very good.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

I use a Facet type as long as its under 3psi at the carb

#4 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

I debate both the above options for my project but plumped for the pump Mokespider linked too. Not really sure why, could have gone either way.

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:51 PM

I would always go with experience, there is a different thread around starter motors, and I have never had an issue with Lucas but others have.. the difference maybe that I have only  fitted them for me and my cars, so may have fitted lets say 6 or 8 starters.. the likes of Moke / AC Dodd / Cooperman amongst many others, may have fitted 60 or 80 to cars (customers etc) so their sample size is a hell of lot more than mine...as you say you could have gone with either fuel pump, but whichever you chose you really wont get mislead by experience

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:10 PM

Yes, I could have gone either way and well weighed each of them up. Even when fitting the first, I wasn't 'sold' until it was proven and I have tried quite a few Facets over the years.

The Facet and the Hardi Pump (that Mini Spares offer) both work and do the job, though, as Cal touched on, there's many different Facets available and you want to b sure if going for a Facet, it is a type that has between 1.5 and 3.0 PSI (if running an SU).

I didn't go with the Facet because where the Pumps end up being mounted in a Moke, they are above the fuel level and this pump in the medium term, didn't perform too well at all drawing fuel up a head and they are noisy things.

The Hardi Pumps have shown themselves fine at drawing up a head (though not specifically rated for that) and like the SU Pump, almost silent. They also cope well with less than clean fuel. You can also dismantle the Hardi Pump (the Facet you can't) for cleaning, inspection etc, though I'm yet to enquire if overhaul kits are available.

#7 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:45 AM

I use the NZ ECCO pump. https://simonbbc.com...r-installation/

Edited by whistler, 01 January 2021 - 10:45 AM.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

I always use the Facet 'cube-shaped' pumps (can't remember the part number) and have found them to be really excellent.

On my 1310 cc Cooper 'S' rally car, which gives around 12 mpg on a special stage, a single pump has never failed to deliver sufficient petrol. I have a pressure limiter adjacent to the carb intake and the pumps are mounted under the rear seat base.

In fact, on that car I have two of those pumps piped in and wired in parallel, but the second is used as a reserve and 'fail-safe' pump, although I have never needed it.

I don't use the rubber mounts, so I do hear the pump ticking, but it is not an issue  and the ticking is soon hidden by the straight-cut gear whine in the intermediate gears and the induction noise  :D .

#9 m445

m445

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

Does the electric fuel pump require pressure regulator?  I am installing Facet pump (STS504) for HIF44 carb.  I think the carb only likes 3 psi fuel. 

Also, does the pump require oil pressure switch for relay?  This would shut pump off in case of accident. 

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:52 PM

Does the electric fuel pump require pressure regulator? I am installing Facet pump (STS504) for HIF44 carb. I think the carb only likes 3 psi fuel.

Also, does the pump require oil pressure switch for relay? This would shut pump off in case of accident.

Yes you will need a pressure regulator, as yes the carbs only need 3psi

I would also advise you to fit the oil pressure kill switch, or an inertia switch

Regards

Cal

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 07:23 PM

If you are keen to run that style of Facet Pump, then for that one, as Cal mentioned, you would want a Pressure Regulator. If you went for a IP258, you'll likely just get away without one.

#12 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:08 PM

Does the electric fuel pump require pressure regulator?  I am installing Facet pump (STS504) for HIF44 carb.  I think the carb only likes 3 psi fuel. 

Also, does the pump require oil pressure switch for relay?  This would shut pump off in case of accident.

an inertia cut-off switch would be a better solution. By all means wire it up so it only gets power when you've got oil pressure, but I wouldn't rely on it to cut the power in an accident

#13 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 January 2021 - 01:03 PM

It is not really worth bothering with an inertia switch, especially in a Mini.

Fires after accidents are very rare and usually only seen in Holywood productions.

When a fire happens to a car after an accident it is usually caused by one of two issues.

The first is hydraulic fluid under pressure from braking spraying onto the hot ex. manifold.

The other is an earthing out of the main battery feed lead(s) by having its insulation stripped by impact and shorting out near to a flammable material such as a carpet.

To my mind, the biggest fire risk is because at the back there is virtually no distance between the rear bumper and the petrol tank which sits in a compartment with an unsealed 12 volt battery and a fuel pipe passing through the compartment. Even then, the record of Minis catching fire after rear end shunts is rare.

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

I think they only fitted the Inertia Cut Off Switch to the Injected Cars as the fuel from the tank is fed at a considerably higher pressure and there being a (perceived) higher risk of fire from that. Like Peter, I don't feel they are warranted on a Carb Car.

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:02 PM

I too feel that having thought about this an inertia switch would be a stupid idea and could potentially cause an accident due to unintended deceleration.

I also think that an oil pressure kill switch wouldnt work either as it would take too long to lose oil pressure in an accident.

So, to recap just use an ignition switched live wire and run it away from crush points and heat (exhaust).

Edited by cal844, 05 January 2021 - 10:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users