2 replies to this topic

#1 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:04 PM

Just removed the rear windows and runners. All nuts and screws came off remarkably easily however i have found that the top section of the rail is pop riveted in two places from the inside. Is this the normal method of fixing? If so and  i drill them out are there replacement fixings available

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:17 PM

The only reason to remove the frame is for restoration purposes as the tracks can be replaced from the inside of the car.

To remove the frame you would usually have drilled out the four rivets on the top section before hand, the fourth rivet is hiding in the U section closest to the front.

The parts are no longer available but can be manipulated back into shape, the hardest part is lining them up again, I use a pencil sharpened so 20mm of lead sticks out to mark where the rivet hole will land.

The clips are quite hard to get back in, I bend them so they are convex and when they are in pull them back to the flat shape.

When refitting used Tiger seal or similar on the top and sides only. A fine bead on the back edge before fitting and don`t forget to punch drainage holes above each scoop in the lower channel and miter the channels on the corners.

Edited by absx2, 30 December 2020 - 07:28 PM.

#3 peasoup39

peasoup39

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for that. I have got the windows and guides out but the frame is in need of a good rubdown and repaint as there is rust on the edges so i have to take them off.. If it is possible to reform the rivet i will remove the least amount of metal by using a small drill and punch them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users