Photo
- - - - -

Oil Warning Light

Best Answer Wboy111 , 11 January 2021 - 07:51 PM

LED backlights have made a massive difference as well.

LED backlights have made a massive difference as well. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:48 PM

The Oil Warning Light is not coming in when I switch on the ignition on my Mini Jet Black. I’ve taken off the feed to the oil pressure sender, switched on the ignition and ground it to earth and the light stays off. I’ve put a voltmeter across the feed and earthed out and I’m getting a good voltage. Before I pull out the instruments to replace the bulb on the oil light I just wanted to check my logic. Is it a blown bulb in the dash or does the oil pressure sender broken as it should send a feed on initial power up?

Thanks.

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

If it doesn't come on when you earth it then check the bulb

#3 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:35 PM

I’ve just taken the instruments out. The bulb is fine.

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:42 PM

Silly question but grounding the wire out isnt totally simple ss you have to push a bit inside the connector then ground it to a proper earth, ie not painted or dirty.... did you have someone in the car checking the light as you ground it out, or did you ground it out then leave it and get inside the car yourself, maybe rocking it and knocking the wire off its ground?

#5 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

If you have a multimeter then check the operation of the pressure sensing switch, With the meter on the OHMS range, ignition OFF, the engine stopped and the sensor wire removed the oil pressure switch should be a short to earth. If not the switch is faulty. If it is a short to earth then  leaving the meter connected start the engine. If the switch operation is correct the meter should read open circuit. Any deviation from the above then replace the switch.

With the ignition switch ON short the sensor wire to a good earth point and the oil pressure warning light should light if all is correct. If it does not then you will have to check the wiring and bulb integrity..

#6 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:00 PM

Silly question but grounding the wire out isnt totally simple ss you have to push a bit inside the connector then ground it to a proper earth, ie not painted or dirty.... did you have someone in the car checking the light as you ground it out, or did you ground it out then leave it and get inside the car yourself, maybe rocking it and knocking the wire off its ground?

I’ve tried it both ways.😃

Originally I tried it on my own and then got back in the car. Was worried I might have knocked it, so had some help from my wife for a second attempt with her in the car.

Edited by Wboy111, 02 January 2021 - 08:05 PM.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:11 PM

The Oil Warning Light is not coming in when I switch on the ignition on my Mini Jet Black. I’ve taken off the feed to the oil pressure sender, switched on the ignition and ground it to earth and the light stays off. I’ve put a voltmeter across the feed and earthed out and I’m getting a good voltage. Before I pull out the instruments to replace the bulb on the oil light I just wanted to check my logic. Is it a blown bulb in the dash or does the oil pressure sender broken as it should send a feed on initial power up?

Thanks.

Your thinking here is correct, however, I'm not sure if they ever did it on the UK Cars, but some of ours also had a Test Circuit associated with the Oil Light, eg, on our locally made cars, they also used the Oil Light Circuit for a Test on the Brake Fail Lamp via a Diode. Just wondering if that maybe where you could be getting a stray voltage from ?

Also, modern Multimeters put such minute load on circuits when testing, if you have a little leakage say over a dirty printed circuit board or in a connector, the Meter can show a voltage when in fact for all intended purposes, there is none. Noted that you've already taken the Instruments out, but try the test again however, load it with a small lamp across the Meter.

Also, while you have the Instruments unplugged, test for voltage again on the Wire to the Oil Switch.

#8 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for all the help. I’ve ordered a new switch. Played around with the multi-meter yesterday and the next simplest job is to change the switch. There’s no voltage from the wire in the instrument connector block when the ignition is on, but there is no resistance between the connector to the switch and the connector block.

#9 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:01 AM

Whilst the instruments are out I’ve decided to upgrade the backlights to LEDs.

#10 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

It was the oil switch. Just changed and all now working fine. Thanks for your help.

#11 Wboy111

Wboy111

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:51 PM   Best Answer

Attached Files

Edited by Wboy111, 11 January 2021 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users