#1 mattrsa

mattrsa

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 05:39 PM

HI All 

Started a mini project a few months back, it has been stored and not run for 15 years, before embarking on the tear down I got it running but could not get the clutch pedal to work. I assumed it was a seized clutch cylinder as that did not seem to want to budge. 

The engine is now out the car and I'm beginning to give it a good clean and replace some gaskets before putting in back in a couple month, while it is out someone suggested I should open clutch housing just to have a quick check to ensure the clutch is not seized. 

Can anyone tell me I would ascertain this easily? As I mentioned the engine is out the car so opening the clutch housing is not a problem I just don't know what I am looking for once I have it open. 

thanks in advance. 

#2 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:48 PM

Buy a workshop manual . It will help out on what you will need to do on a lot of things , the clutch is easy to do if you have got the right puller to get to it , long winded to explain

#3 mattrsa

mattrsa

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the reply Hunterg30. 

I have the manual have bought a clutch puller and have watched various videos online about removing the flywheel/clutch but I was kind of hoping there might be an easier way to tell but simply opening the clutch/flywheel housing and looking. Guess not. 

Thanks again

#4 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

You could try to depress the clutch arm ( long pipe over the clutch lever works wonders), then have an assistant spin the engine over while it’s in gear. You’ll quickly see if the pot joints are rotating or not.
If they are moving, try to hold them in place, a bit of rust build up could cause some drag which makes them move .

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 12:00 AM

Very difficult to definitively check it with the engine out of the car to be honest.. as said above there is likely to be some clutch drag anyway and very difficult to "press" the clutch and turn the engine with any kind of force whiel holding the drive shafts..It would probably be quicker and easier to just pull the clutch out as you have the egine out anyway ... if you are replacing gaskets anyway it will prob involve you separating the Engine and box which will need the Flywheel off anyway

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:46 AM

Verto or pre-verto?

If pre-verto you don't need to pull the flywheel, just remove the 3 diaphragm bolts - this will allow the backplate to fall away, and then through the starter hole you will be able to manipulate the driven plate and check that it isn't stuck to either flywheel or backplate, slides up and down the primary gear splines OK and rotates freely (ie primary gear free on crank).

However - what do you mean by 'could not get the clutch pedal to work'?  What were you experiencing - no movement at all on the pedal?

Edited by GraemeC, 06 January 2021 - 08:52 AM.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

Ow the engine is out how does the pedal feel? The same? If yes then it is cylinder issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users