37 replies to this topic

#1 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

I recently finished a resto on my shell and didn't mess with the engine (it was rebuild a year ago) the gearbox as far as I know was a get me by box from Guessworks done about 6 years ago. When I pulled the engine before the resto I had no issues with the gearbox. So I am wondering if something I replaced is causing this issue or if my gearbox is finally tired and needs to be rebuilt. 

The issue I am having is if I put the pedal to the floor in second gear or gradually accelerate it seems right around 4500 RPM it will jump out of gear. If I hold the shifter it doesn't pop out. Also shifting into second is nice and smooth no crunchiness felt at all. If I shift before 4k I usually don't have an issue at all. 

When putting the car back together I replaced the engine mounts, the shifter housing mounts, shift rod (original was bowed), and added a quick release coupler on the shift rod.

The engine steady's currently have poly bushings(were installed before the rebuild) but I will be changing them back to rubber due to the vibration noises from them. I also have a Kad quickshifter (had this before the rebuild as well).

Edited by jeffster06, 04 January 2021 - 03:48 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:04 PM

Sounds like the engine stabiliser bushes are fubar. Grab the rocker cover and give it a good push and pull to see if there's any play.

#3 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:27 PM

I have a quick release coupler on the shift rod and experienced jumping out of 2nd gear when slowing down. I also had fitted the anti oil leak seal kit from minispares, once I removed the bellow dust seal all was fine.

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Edited by JXC Mini GT, 04 January 2021 - 05:30 PM.

#4 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:20 PM

I have a quick release coupler on the shift rod and experienced jumping out of 2nd gear when slowing down. I also had fitted the anti oil leak seal kit from minispares, once I removed the bellow dust seal all was fine.

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

I actually don't have the dust seal on there, was going to put it on but couldn't find it. 

Sounds like the engine stabiliser bushes are fubar. Grab the rocker cover and give it a good push and pull to see if there's any play.

I have a set of the EVO rubber ones from minispares on the way. Currently it has the purple poly ones they sell, I don't think the engine had any play but I will be sure to check before I take it apart to swap the bushes. 

#5 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

just an update, got the new rubber bushings. For some reason they are loose in the upper steady bar, causing more play than I had before. Took it for a ride anyways and found the 2nd gear issue appears to be the same, although it did pop out when slowly climbing a hill (hadn't done that before). Seeing the bushings are loose in the bar I figured it was a good excuse to buy a nice DSN steady to get the play out. Guessing once I get everything tightened up that if the issue is still there then I should start saving for a gearbox rebuild. 

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

just an update, got the new rubber bushings. For some reason they are loose in the upper steady bar, causing more play than I had before. Took it for a ride anyways and found the 2nd gear issue appears to be the same, although it did pop out when slowly climbing a hill (hadn't done that before). Seeing the bushings are loose in the bar I figured it was a good excuse to buy a nice DSN steady to get the play out. Guessing once I get everything tightened up that if the issue is still there then I should start saving for a gearbox rebuild.

Good shout but personally I would just rebuild the box.

#7 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

Good shout but personally I would just rebuild the box.

Guess I'm just grasping at straws cause it was fine before I pulled the motor early last year to do shell work. I'm also not looking forward to pulling the engine so soon lol.  Feel like it could be something external to it that I changed when putting things back together. I have been pricing rebuild parts though. might go straight cut while I'm at it.  

The plus side is if I drive like a normal person I have no issues.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,922 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

There can be a few causes for this, but regardless of that, once they have popped out a few times under load (about 10 - 20 times), the Dog Teeth Round off and it will never hold gear.

I'd say, especially as it was only the one gear and also being 2nd at that, the Selector Fork had worn not allowing 2nd to fully engage in the first place.

#9 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:41 PM

There can be a few causes for this, but regardless of that, once they have popped out a few times under load (about 10 - 20 times), the Dog Teeth Round off and it will never hold gear.

I'd say, especially as it was only the one gear and also being 2nd at that, the Selector Fork had worn not allowing 2nd to fully engage in the first place.

shhhh I'm in denial of an easy fix over here..... guess I need to reach out to guessworks about a rebuild. Not sure I want to tackle it myself or not. 

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

shhhh I'm in denial of an easy fix over here..... guess I need to reach out to guessworks about a rebuild. Not sure I want to tackle it myself or not.

Might be better for your wallet to buy an exchange gearbox and diff? Now is the time to change the gearing to suit what you use the car for.

#11 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:15 PM

Might be better for your wallet to buy an exchange gearbox and diff? Now is the time to change the gearing to suit what you use the car for.

Thats what I was thinking just getting a whole box from guessworks rather than rebuilding what I have. The problem is shipping my box in as an exchange might cost almost as much as the exchange fee I would be getting back. 

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:15 PM

Thats what I was thinking just getting a whole box from guessworks rather than rebuilding what I have. The problem is shipping my box in as an exchange might cost almost as much as the exchange fee I would be getting back.

You may well be right with regards to the postage, it would be worth contacting John, although I have a feeling he may well comment here first

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

Under £30 to ship a gearbox

Edited by GraemeC, 12 January 2021 - 09:14 AM.

#14 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

From the USA?

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:34 AM

From the USA?
That may mean the difference between getting it shipped for repair or repaired locally in the USA.

Edited by cal844, 12 January 2021 - 11:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users