37 replies to this topic

#31 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

For the synchro hub tool - yes, I thing the GW one is expensive as this task can easily be done with home made tools.  Spiders suggestion is good, as is using a jubilee clip or even a wide cable tie (even the original factory tool is much simpler than the GW one, but does require a little more dexterity than his.)

Wide cable tie is good idea might give that one a go as well. 

#32 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

,,,,, but I can't see a plastic 3rd motion bearing tool being up to the job - if it is, then the journal for the bearing is too slack in my opinion.

The Plastic Pipe I've suggested has a circa 4 - 5 mm wall thickness. The initial shift on the bearing is done without the tool and so will get the bearing moving in the tunnel. Using the PVC Pipe it will work a few times before it gives up. Certainly not a tool for longevity, but it will get the job done here.

I can't recall who it was but there is a firm who does sell a solid Plastic version of the factory tool and I think they claim they have been using it in their workshop for a few years. It might be made from Nylon or some better type of plastic.

#33 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

Well got my shiny new DSN steady bar. 2nd gear issue improved, was able to pull to read line with light to moderate throttle. Wide open jumped later than before (right around 5k I think), I'm calling this my hold over bandaid while I gather parts.

I did have a scary moment installing the new bar though, come to find out one of the bolts on the steady bar must have broken a long time ago and the remaining thread gave up while installing the new bolt (that wouldn't fit anyways). Luckily when I restored the shell I went with a fiberglass front that could be unbolted. I was able to take the front off and got lucky and an easy out actually removed the remaining part of the bolt that was stopping the new one from going into the block. 

#34 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

Glad to hear the issue has been temporarily resolved. The stabiliser bolts are renowned for wearing around the threads

#35 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:17 AM

Well my hope to push the rebuild off to the end of the year didn't work out. Started noticing the box had more whine to it. I had been gathering parts to rebuild a spare box a friend was going to lone me. That box unfortunately has a stuck flywheel. Either way mine is now in pieces, my double roller fell apart, luckily it looks like it was just the plastic pieces that disintegrated.

I have a bunch of pictures on my blog. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here but if it does work then perhaps someone can take a look at the pics of the gears and let me know if they see anything I should be replacing. I already know I need a new input gear (I messed it up) and the 1st/2nd gear selector has a bit of play so I'll be replacing that as well. Just not sure if the other gears are good, I honestly don't know what I'm looking for in terms of wear etc.

Either way heres a link to the post.

http://minibox.blog/...n-your-gearbox/

#36 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 09:08 AM

One more thing to consider is the convoluted rubber boot between the gearchange rod coupling collar and the box stub - sometimes they can be too stiff and push it out of gear. Cutting one ridge off the rubber usually sorts it - cured mine jumping out of reverse.

Edited by johnR, 29 March 2021 - 09:12 AM.

#37 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:57 PM

figured out I could copy the image links and post them here. second gear seems to have wear just trying to figure out if its too much or normal etc. these pics are coming over huge hopefully they help identify if I should be replacing them as well. 

20210328_123207.jpg?strip=info&w=200020210328_123221.jpg?strip=info&w=200020210328_123227.jpg?strip=info&w=2000

20210328_121559.jpg?strip=info&w=2000

20210328_121611.jpg?strip=info&w=200020210328_123147.jpg?strip=info&w=2000

#38 goudoogje

goudoogje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:19 PM

For the synchro hub tool - yes, I thing the GW one is expensive as this task can easily be done with home made tools.  Spiders suggestion is good, as is using a jubilee clip or even a wide cable tie (even the original factory tool is much simpler than the GW one, but does require a little more dexterity than his.)

Wide cable tie is good idea might give that one a go as well. 

I did used this cable tie route for a couple of times now, works nice and very cheap. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users