28 replies to this topic

#1 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

There is a lot of adverts for classic cars including late model sportspack coopers on ebay. These normally only have 1 or 2 photos then a message to contact the sellers. The prices are unrealistically low. What is the scam here, ie, how are they making their money? Are they taking deposits off unsuspecting buyers for cars which don't exist,? Seem to list multiple cars on a daily basis.

Like this: https://www.ebay.co....tm/233851548782

Edited by surfblue, 09 January 2021 - 06:38 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:39 PM

They do whatever they can to get money out of people who think they are getting a bargain. Of cause all the seller has is a digital image of a lot of cars. They do it because some people fall for it.

join the face book group “eBay vehicle  scam alerts”  to see how rife it is.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:44 PM

https://www.facebook...roups/GroupEVSA

Ebay is awash with them and Jack Buster is doing his best to try and halt the criminal activity going on.

#4 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

Firstly the cars photographed arent in their possession or for sale.

Make contact with them outside of ebay like they ask.

Youll then be told via email the vehicle is in a much further away location than advertised due to work.

You will be sent a lot of fake ID to prove the seller is genuine.

You will be encouraged to pay a holding company through Ebay whilst you receive delivery of the vehicle and only once you are happy with the vehicle will the money be released to the seller.

The last bit is true but only for they American market.

What youll actually do is pay the seller and the car will never appear.

And because its a bank transfer you will never see the money again.

#5 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

I know all this because I started this discussion before, thankfully, realising its a scam. I know somebody who got caught out buying a mortorbike. So the sellers are very convincing.

The ID I was sent included a drivers licence with photo and matching utility bill.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:25 PM

I'm a member of EVSA on Facebook. 2 scenarios is that the people being scammed pay a deposit then the item dropped from sale and the funds are moved to another account.

Another is that the scammers promise to deliver the item for a small fee over and above the sale price. If all funds are paid they are then moved into a main account and the vehicle doesn't get delivered.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 07:55 PM

This scam has been around for years and years, I don't understand why eBay can't use an algorithm to stop them even being posted in the first place, using OCR to recognise the text in the second photo, which is the same each time, they just change the gmail address. It must still catch people out, as they keep posting the ads.

#8 3VILC

3VILC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:38 PM

They will even try and scam you if your selling a car. Offering a silly high price and if you continue to string them along, providing a lot of fake documentation which makes it appear that they have wired you the funds and will be released once you prove you have paid the shipping company, which is also accompanied with a lot of fake paperwork to make it appear that sea freight has been booked.
They will try anything, so I figure might as well waste their time too and see how much work you can make them put in to get nothing by asking lots of silly questions and dragging the process out :)

#9 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:13 PM

It's a disgrace that they keep appearing all the time. I see some people bid them up to silly money just to ruin the advert which is funny to see. They only last a day or so but it only takes a click and view for someone to get caught out.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:02 AM

It's so nice that ebay take such high responsibility for the platform which they operate and make money from.

It's actually,just another reason why I don't like ebay and I generally avoid it.

#11 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

Hi Moke, would you recommend a similar platform to ebay that is less "scamming" ?

by the way I agree with everything that has been said above, in my opinion ebay, twitter, facebook, all do NOT enough to protect /  help their users, and of course they are just in it for the money they do not care about their users...

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:08 AM

Hi Moke, would you recommend a similar platform to ebay that is less "scamming" ?

by the way I agree with everything that has been said above, in my opinion ebay, twitter, facebook, all do NOT enough to protect /  help their users, and of course they are just in it for the money they do not care about their users...

There aren’t any.

#13 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

One scam on eBay at the moment - it might be the one mentioned above - involves a 'private seller' offering hundreds of vehicles, many of which appear again and again. Surely this is something that should ring alarm bells for eBay? Not sure how seriously they take the problem.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

One scam on eBay at the moment - it might be the one mentioned above - involves a 'private seller' offering hundreds of vehicles, many of which appear again and again. Surely this is something that should ring alarm bells for eBay? Not sure how seriously they take the problem.

They do nothing unless people report them. The east European just put them back up as soon as they are taken down. It is not a single individual but a large ring. Most of the accounts they use are hacked. And they also creat fake sales pages as well.

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

All platforms are now targeted by these scammers and its spreading like a virus.

If you cannot touch it or someone on your behalf cannot physically look at it then you need to think of the mantra " Buyer Beware"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users