4 replies to this topic

#1 3VILC

3VILC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

So I purchased sight unseen a 998 A+ short block, I won it at online auction for $1 so was worth a gamble.
The block tag is 99H/791PZ (same as my stock Elf engine (tho I swear it says 99H79L)) which surely should be pre A+? Yet it has all the exterior ribs and a Leyland logo cast in the side. The pistons are stamped M2039-E13 and are dished. Is it worth using any of it, its looks to be in very nice condition? Lots of differening info around on how much is different obviously the dizzy, do I need different transfer gears (to mate to a non plus box), I was hoping that I could've used it to build a high compression engine without shaving so much off the head, but not sure now with the dished pistons (again differing info, wikipedia puts all 998 A+ as 9.4:1, other places list almost as many compressions for as for non A plus).. at the end of the day it has a new fuel pump bolted to it which I needed anyway so worth the $1 even if the rest is no better than I already have. I can add pictures tomorrow if anyone thinks they could be any use to seeing if this is worth using (not sure what heads going ontop of it yet or what cam, most likely a 202 for simplicity although if I can use this spare block I guess I could have a go a pocketing it for a 940)

#2 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Having never built an engine I can’t really comment apart from I wish I could pick up a short block for $1!

Have fun and enjoy what ever you end up doing with it

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

You should really do a full measure, machine and rebuild. Especially if it's a short block

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:55 PM

Apart from it being an A+ Block (and so won't look original to your Elf), ignoring condition for the moment, you can use it in every way as you would an earlier engine. You can run your original drop gears and everything else from your A engine will fit the A+, except for the Distributor, Distributor Drive and Distributor Clamp. Also, if it is a very late 998 A+. it may have Con Rods that have Press Fit Piston Pins.

The A+ 998 was made in a variety of 'specifications', some having dished pistons, others having flat tops.

#5 3VILC

3VILC

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 01:36 AM

Cool thanks Spider that what I wanted to know, so really all I need is a distributor and I can rob anything esle from one of my non plus engines, should I decide to make use of it. And yup will measure everything properly before I embark on whatever I end up doing, just wasn't much point looking to use it if I still had the hunt down A+ drop gears and A+ timing set, A+ this and that, when I already have 2 other other non plus engines I can raid bits from. The guy I got it off was actually going to use it as is the base for a fast 998 for his Mini Van, he changed his mind and built an identical supercharged 1380 to what he run in his track car, so i would be inclined to trust him saying its good.

I'm not too worried if the Elf is not original as per my project thread, they dont currently value that high at the moment compared to the earlier normal cars, strange being a lot smaller production run.  But if I do go that route I will probably keep the original? engine as a spare or to return to factory if I ever sell it. Must check that actually, see if the number matches the orginal registration papers as they never put the engine number on the vehicle plate at least I've never seen it on NZ assembled cars that space is always blank (often isn't on papers on older cars either but might be lucky)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users