20 replies to this topic

#1 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:25 AM

I wasn't sure which section to post this in, it isn't mini specific so technical didn't seem right, please feel free to move if there is somewhere better. I appreciate this is a sensitive topic, I am trying to act legally here, but if this is inappropriate or seen to encourage illegal activity please delete the thread. I checked the forum rules before posting and hopefully I am ok as I am not selling or condoning anything, I am just seeking clarity and advice. 

I have a 1972 project mini (fully legitimate, V5 etc), but I have a V5 from a scrapped 1967 Mk2, the plate of which which has some sentimental value. Both documents are in the same name, same address etc. and have been for many years.

Can I apply to have the number plate transferred from the Mk2, to the later one? Is it a simple transfer as per any other private plate? If so, I expect age will be ok (as it is making the mini look older), but will this effect the historic status or is this just a myth? Would it require an inspection post completion as a result before being allowed on the road? Are there any other issues to expect? 

It is understandably hard to find information and advice on this given the topic. 

As above, I am trying to do this legitimately so please no silly answers. I appreciate the MK2 V5 should not exist, but I think it was scraped back when cutting up old shells etc. was the norm, and now it is a bit of a battle to prove it has been scrapped as you cannot get a certificate of destruction for something that does not exist, so it is just an ornament which would be nice to resurrect if possible, if only for nostalgia. 

Thank you

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

The '67 plate would need to be on a car with an MoT at which point you could either transfer the plate or put it on retention (there are some instances that this can't be done, but is generally the case). 

On a scrapped car I'm afraid you can't rescue the registration legally (or even illegally if the car has been officially scrapped with the DVLA).

Putting an earlier plate on  later car does not give that later car any special rights - the MoT and tax exemption go on the actual date of first registration of the vehicle, not of the apparent date of the registration number.

Edited by GraemeC, 13 January 2021 - 09:32 AM.

#3 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

As far as I see it, it is a reg transfer just like putting a personal plate on a car
(the plate can be older but not newer)

So long as the plate only is transferred to the new car and not the whole v5 everything should be legal

If the old car has never been officially scrapped and the plate is still legal it should be ok

I have done this in the past with an old beach buggy and an old beetle with a nice plate on it and

Never had any problems

I’m sure someone on here will know if there is a legal reason why it can’t be done and also the correct way

Of informing the DVLA

#4 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

As far as I see it, it is a reg transfer just like putting a personal plate on a car
(the plate can be older but not newer)

So long as the plate only is transferred to the new car and not the whole v5 everything should be legal

If the old car has never been officially scrapped and the plate is still legal it should be ok

I have done this in the past with an old beach buggy and an old beetle with a nice plate on it and

Never had any problems

I’m sure someone on here will know if there is a legal reason why it can’t be done and also the correct way

Of informing the DVLA

#5 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

The '67 plate would need to be on a car with an MoT at which point you could either transfer the plate or put it on retention (there are some instances that this can't be done, but is generally the case). 

On a scrapped car I'm afraid you can't rescue the registration legally (or even illegally if the car has been officially scrapped with the DVLA).

Putting an earlier plate on  later car does not give that later car any special rights - the MoT and tax exemption go on the actual date of first registration of the vehicle, not of the apparent date of the registration number.

Thank you Graeme. I would not expect the MoT exemption, I was concerned that I would be unable to retain the rights assigned to the 1972 identity (i.e. the black and silver plates, tax exemption etc) or does a private plate negate any historic status? 

The Mk2 was unofficially scrapped, i.e. stripped and cut up then the paperwork put away, nothing has been registered with the DVLA, but I suspect your first comment regarding the MOT will mean that my hopes are dashed anyway. 

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

Both cars need valid MOTs,

Do it ain’t going to happen unless you restore the other car.

But then you would not need to transfer it.

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

Thank you Graeme. I would not expect the MoT exemption, I was concerned that I would be unable to retain the rights assigned to the 1972 identity (i.e. the black and silver plates, tax exemption etc) or does a private plate negate any historic status? 

No - the historic status goes on the date of first registration of the vehicle (actually date of manufacture but that is sometimes harder to establish so registration is commonly used in the first instance).

#8 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:15 AM

Thanks all, guess it is a no-go then  :(  I will just leave it in the drawer and have the plate as a garage wall piece.  

Just to improve my knowledge, does that apply to Pre-MOT exempt cars still regardless? i.e. the private plates you see for sale from an older vehicle are simply on a long term retention (or have been repeatedly transferred)? It isn't something I have done before but seems an odd rule as does that in turn mean if you have an MOT failure on a private plated car, the the private plate is lost? 

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:24 AM

Thanks all, guess it is a no-go then  :(  I will just leave it in the drawer and have the plate as a garage wall piece.  

Just to improve my knowledge, does that apply to Pre-MOT exempt cars still regardless? i.e. the private plates you see for sale from an older vehicle are simply on a long term retention (or have been repeatedly transferred)? It isn't something I have done before but seems an odd rule as does that in turn mean if you have an MOT failure on a private plated car, the the private plate is lost? 

With the older cars you are much more likely to have to present the to the local DVLA/VOSA office to prove that is it actually road legal etc. 

a plate that has been put on retention with have been transferred from a road legal car and that car will have been issued with a new plate.

to sum up at the time of retention or transfer the vehicles involved must be road legal.

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:25 AM

It applies to all cars.  Those you see for sale will have either been put on retention whilst the vehicle has an MoT, or have never been assigned to a vehicle and sold by the DVLA as a 'cherished' registration.

Yes, if you have a private plate on a car that fails its MoT it is lost unless you fix the car!

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:27 AM

With the older cars you are much more likely to have to present the to the local DVLA/VOSA office to prove that is it actually road legal etc. 

No such thing anymore though - they will send a private contractor firm to assess the vehicle.

#12 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

I believe that you can transfer a plate if the vehicle was taxed or sorn in the last five years,after that you are extremely unlikely to be able to do.The GOV website has all the real rules.Steve..

#13 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:09 AM

Just a question in a similar vein

If you have a car with a personal plate and the car is written off and scrapped following an accident
or stolen and never recovered Would you also lose the private plate

#14 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

No - I think there are allowances for this, although no doubt you would need to transfer the plate onto retention prior to the V5C being retired as scrapped.

#15 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:19 AM

Yes, if you have a private plate on a car that fails its MoT it is lost unless you fix the car!

That seems a very strange ruling, but incentive to get your MOT done before the renewal date! I guess the DVLA / Insurance company could just reclaim the plate and can sell it on, I had no idea but always good to learn :) 

Thank you all for the information, whilst not the outcome I had hoped for, it is what it is. Maybe by the time the project is done the law will have changed to suit me better. 

Also good to know regarding inspectors, I remember having to go to the local DVLA office for inspection to get something classed as "Historic"! Both of these vehicles in question are >5 years SORN.

I did look on the Gov site first, but my situation is somewhat unique and it was not really clear if there was a work around so I thought I would ask on here incase someone has attempted something similar in the past. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users