#1 Mini-Hazel-Nut

Mini-Hazel-Nut

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

Hello all, I need a bit of help. I have just installed a quickshift gear lever but can only get 3rd and 4th gears. I bought it from Old Skool Minis and it is a close copy of the the KAD version. When I put the lever in and screwed the retainer in place I found that I could move it backwards and forwards but I can`t get any sideways movement at all. This means that I can`t select 1st, 2nd or reverse. Has anyone got an idea of how to cure this? Any help greatly appreciated.

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:37 PM

Did you remove the plate off the bottom of the selector housing and if so are you sure you've re-installed it the right way round?

#3 Mini-Hazel-Nut

Mini-Hazel-Nut

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:03 PM

Did you remove the plate off the bottom of the selector housing and if so are you sure you've re-installed it the right way round?

The only thing I did to the housing was to remove the original gear lever and put the anodised cap on the housing. That wasn`t easy either.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:57 PM

Does it have the collar under the gear knob that you need to lift up to get Reverse ?

It's not one I'm familiar with

7ozQWCV.jpg

Perhaps remove the bottom cover of the Shifter Housing, it might give you a better view of what's going on here.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

The only thing I did to the housing was to remove the original gear lever and put the anodised cap on the housing. That wasn`t easy either.

Take the plate off the bottom of the housing and see if you can get all the gears.

#6 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:40 PM

Just fitted this KAD one in mine,fitted straight in,Brand new from KAD £95 plus post
🚘👌

Attached Files

Edited by Tones61, 13 January 2021 - 07:25 PM.

#7 Mini-Hazel-Nut

Mini-Hazel-Nut

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

Does it have the collar under the gear knob that you need to lift up to get Reverse ?

It's not one I'm familiar with

7ozQWCV.jpg

Perhaps remove the bottom cover of the Shifter Housing, it might give you a better view of what's going on here.

Take the plate off the bottom of the housing and see if you can get all the gears.

That looks like the exact item I bought and I didn`t know there was a cover on the bottom to be honest. Oh, one thing I have done is to fit a new reverse light switch, would that make any difference?

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

Yes if you have screwed it in too far - it will restrict the sideways movement of the gear-lever exactly as you describe.

Remove it and see if you can get all the gears. Then select reverse and wind the switch in until the reverse light comes on, then tighten the lock nut.

#9 Mini-Hazel-Nut

Mini-Hazel-Nut

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:36 PM

Yes if you have screwed it in too far - it will restrict the sideways movement of the gear-lever exactly as you describe.

Remove it and see if you can get all the gears. Then select reverse and wind the switch in until the reverse light comes on, then tighten the lock nut.

I like the sound of that. That will be the first thing I`ll do tomorrow and I`ll let you know the result. Many thanks.

#10 Mini-Hazel-Nut

Mini-Hazel-Nut

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:52 PM

Here1s the result - I unscrewed the light switch lots.........and still no gears. I tried with the engine running and couldn`t get any at all. So it`s back with the old shifter IF I can find the pins I took out  :unsure:

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

Even the bad, cheapo ones aren't that bad so something is amiss.

Take some photos of the shifter you have and, from underneath, the inside of the selector box with the shifter installed (remove the bottom plate, noting which way round it goes - there is a small hole in it that will be either front or rear (I can't remember which)).

When you say:

'screwed the retainer in place' - do you mean the small M5 bolts or the big knurled edge piece on top?

'can only get 3rd & 4th' - is actually selecting those gear or just moving forwards and backwards where they should be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users