#1 IrishDave

IrishDave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi all,

Ok this might take a bit of explaining so bare with me. Hopefully some one you can help.

So I am currently wiring an SPI myself. I bought a new main loom and cleaned up the engine harness and have it all installed. I started a week or two ago and firstly starting wiring up lights etc. I got the headlights, low beam & high beam working and the indicators. I wired them all up the switches I bought from MiniSpares. Really happy with that, the tip of the switch goes blue when they are on so all working well.

I also wired up the fog light & hazard lights to the same switches. I bought LED headlights with a ring light so have wired that up also.
All working well.

This morning I was playing with the reverse light switch wires (the ones that come up through the floor by the gear selector and join to the loom.
I couldn’t figure out which part of the loom connected to the switch wires but as there were only two options I ruled out the other (which I think was for the heater matrix) and started to try connect some wires together.
I have attached an image below with the reverse light switch wires coming up from below the carpet (Green & Green/Brown) and the 4 wires I started playing with (Black, Green/Brown, Green, Lightgreen/Orange).
I began by trying to join the two Green/brown and seeing if the reverse light would work.

Then I thought to myself I would wire a standard switch to the loom and see if when I turned on the switch the reverse light would work. I used a multimeter and saw that the Lightgreen/Orange was getting power so stuck that onto the + of the switch, the black on the ground and as I was doing this (THIS IS WHERE I F^%KED UP) the negative wire moved over and touched the positive. There was a small spark and then nothing..

Thinking it was just a small problem I continued to try wire the switch but with no reverse light working. I then left it and went and tried my original bunch of switches that were working. Now the headlights won’t turn on, ring lights won’t turn on and when I put on the hazards the relay module just makes a weird ticking sound. I went around the car using a multimeter and checked all the fuses and all seem to be working fine.
I took the headlight out and bench tested it and also working fine. I even used a multimeter on the wires going into the headlight and they are getting power.

I am so disappointed as I thought I was finally getting to the end of wiring. I realise the above is a very long post. I hope someone can help.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:19 PM

Where you went wrong was playing and not looking at the wiring diagram.

you should not have been looking at the brown and black wires just the green and green orange as those two are the ones for the reversing switch.

I guess the others were for the lambda sensor? I wonder what you have fried.

#3 IrishDave

IrishDave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:27 PM

Any suggestions on what to do now?
With the clicking on the relay module it could be possible that I have destroyed that?

I am a novice so I guess I am learning the hard way!

#4 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:47 PM

Which fuse box are you using? Try taking it off and looking at the back of it? Check eachnwire back and work out what has happened.

Also may i suggest an automotive test light..
Such as this(the one i have used for last 20 years)
https://www.ebay.co....LxoCVMEQAvD_BwE

They allow you to test circuits and put power to places and check wires independantly. ... more scope than a voltmeter..

#5 IrishDave

IrishDave

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:43 PM

4 fuse type box.
In a mad turn of events, I took out the battery and plugged it into a charger. Left it for an hour and plugged in back in and everything worked again. Ha!
I’m not sure but I think the battery just died at the same time as the surge of power.

Anyway, all is well that ends well.
I just need to figure out how to get the reverse lights working.
Appreciate all the replies!

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:46 PM

Brake light switch connects green to green/brown

Light green/orange and black go to the heater unit.

Edited by GraemeC, 19 January 2021 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users