#16 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Just curiosity but why choose a Mk3 over a 80/90s mini,aren't they pretty much the same?Steve..

#17 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:57 PM

Just curiosity but why choose a Mk3 over a 80/90s mini,aren't they pretty much the same?Steve..

Sort of.. A genuine mk3 will have 10" wheels, twin bolt front s/f, gutter rail, round tunnel remote etc etc but stick 10s on a 90s mini and it will pass as a mk3 from a distance. It's whether the authenticity and details bother you that's moot. I'm not offering an opinion, just facts.

Edited by johnv, 20 January 2021 - 06:58 PM.

#18 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

Ive got a soft spot for mk3s having owned 4 of them over the years. 71 and 72 round nose saloons, a 71 clubman estate and a 69 1275GT. Personally I like the simplicity of the mk3 and early clubman, they're basically mk1/2 with wind up windows. They some how drive differently to the later cars with rubber mounted subframes. Even back when the cars were much newer the suspension felt firmer and less bouncy than the post 76 cars.

Edited by imack, 20 January 2021 - 07:03 PM.

#19 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:06 PM

There lots of differences but a genuine mk3 in my opinion is the best mk mini that was made. Best colours, no arches and a lot of simple items like a manual pumped windscreen washer, simple switches, centre clocks, single line brakes etc. Plus black and silver plates allowed.

#20 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

There lots of differences but a genuine mk3 in my opinion is the best mk mini that was made. Best colours, no arches and a lot of simple items like a manual pumped windscreen washer, simple switches, centre clocks, single line brakes etc. Plus black and silver plates allowed.

But nobody who bought a new mk3 would have had black and silver plates on it ;-)

#21 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:11 PM

But nobody who bought a new mk3 would have had black and silver plates on it ;-)
Early ones did. But new legislation allows up to 1980 I believe

#22 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:14 PM

Each to their own preferences and no axe to grind but just curious.Memory is a funny thing but 40 years ago I had a 1960 Austin Seven which at the time were almost free.As you did I fitted a Web as to sunroof,1100 engine,reverse rims,archesDash etc and it drove terrible.Despite fitting uprated twin leading shoe brakes instead of the original single leading brakes it drove terribly.My current 1989 Racing Green is almost like a real car which my son and I have shared for 17 years.Good luck in your quest.Steve..

#23 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Early ones did. But new legislation allows up to 1980 I believe
They were/are legal to be sure but when you bought a new car in 1971 you wanted the new style plates on it

#24 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:16 PM

Cheers steve

#25 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

It's a funny old World.

Back in the 1970's if you had a Mk.1 Mini you would likely fit Mk.2 or 3 rear lights and reflective number plates. Later grills and surrounds were also often fitted.

#26 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:45 PM

True,I fitted larger rear lights and reflective plates on my 1960 car,reflective plates with riveted on 3D letters,Very modern.Steve..

#27 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:49 PM

I know what you mean, I suppose the reason behind that is all new things get modified to be a bit different but eventually they are returned back to originality probably for nostalgia and value purposes. If someone buys a new fiesta st now they will do lots of mods on it but in 15-20 years time the ones left will all be wanting it back to standard. I am seeing this now on the Clio 172/182s especially the cup models.

#28 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

Sorry as its slightly off topic but don`t overlook a nice mk4 as little comforts like a flick wipe, two speed wipers, sound proofing ! rear seat belt anchor points, recliners, heated rear window and a few other odds and sods make it one of the nicest minis to drive whilst still keeping to it`s original simple form, it looks as nice as a mk3 with a few improvements .

I run and drive a mk2 mk3 mk4 and mk5.

#29 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:54 PM

Here’s one

https://www.carandcl...uk/car/C1302962

#30 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

Sorry as its slightly off topic but don`t overlook a nice mk4 as little comforts like a flick wipe, two speed wipers, sound proofing ! rear seat belt anchor points, recliners, heated rear window and a few other odds and sods make it one of the nicest minis to drive whilst still keeping to it`s original simple form, it looks as nice as a mk3 with a few improvements .
I run and drive a mk2 mk3 mk4 and mk5.

Best of all worlds 😁 I'm not against mk4 minis in any way. I just think early cars feel better and I do love the simple features. I will see what happens and also what's available as I won't be able to look properly until at least March/april by the looks of things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users