19 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:42 PM

just resorting out all my brake lines etc, saw somewhere on here a guy had also fitted a banjo fitting on his clutch master cylinder, think he made or bought a braided steel line. Looked neat too.

I want to use a banjo and bolt too, because I don't want the line to come up, I want it to come straight out.  don't want a braided line just a banjo and bolt to come out at 90 degrees from the clutch master cylinder rather than straight up........know it is 3/8 unf fitting but need a straight banjo fitting one that I can fit  my clutch line to, and how long are the actual banjo bolt that I need, and what fitting do I need for the banjo to fit the master cylinder? is there some adapter that I need? or does the banjo bolt surffice.........

if you look at jan 28th  2011 topcatcustoms        brake master cylinder options             you will see a picture of the banjo on the clutch master cylinder.

Edited by splintercat, 19 January 2021 - 09:49 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:52 PM

Not seen any like you are asking for. Just buy the braided clutch hose.

#3 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:17 PM

Not seen any like you are asking for. Just buy the braided clutch hose.

Yeah , but don't want a braided clutch hose as i want to run a solid 3/16 brake pipe to my clutch, just need a banjo fitting, and to know what length the banjo nut should be? is it the same size in length as the ones used in the banjo set up used going to the fornt brakes?

#4 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:30 PM

Isn't it a flexible connection for a reason to account for the vibration of the engine therefore a solid pipe could be subject to a stress fracture.

Edited by Chris1275gt, 19 January 2021 - 11:31 PM.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:58 PM

Maybe if you posted a link to the page your talking about?

I've never seen a banjo fitting to a 3/8” UNF flare type connection for a solid line.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:30 AM

Maybe if you posted a link to the page your talking about?

I've never seen a banjo fitting to a 3/8” UNF flare type connection for a solid line.

Me too.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:59 AM

I have something similar. Pinched the fittings off an old style Skoda. Doubt you can find one of those, but this'll do.

There's a suitable banjo bolt & copper washers listed below. You'll need the top face of the cylinder to be clean, flat & true. Also don't try to make your line too straight, it'll need a bit of flex/slack to screw up cleanly.

#8 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:20 AM

Those are very interesting.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

Good find Eff. Might work, if the seat at the bottom is correct - I see it says it is for connecting -3 flexi hoses not bubble flares, but the bubble should conform to shape, especially if it is a new line.

Whether it will seal on a 3/8"UNF banjo bolt though?

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:45 AM

Yeah, 3/8 is close enough to M10 to be interchangeable here. There might not even be any difference where it matters.

I didn't notice it said for hoses, but hoses come with conical seats too, so if it's made as a universal fitting... Splinter could always ask first.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

Ok that got me thinking. Remake the pipe and use https://www.merlinmo...steel-g-776-03p

I would still use a flexy one.

#12 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

Do you mean this?

www.minispares.com/C-AJJ4025COMP.aspx

#13 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:44 PM

Edit - Ignore, my reading skills failed me.

Edited by Icey, 20 January 2021 - 05:46 PM.

#14 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

What I think you do mean is using the following - copy and paste each parts - and you will get the desired result

BHA4706

C5192A

3H550

233220A

BHA4310

The male union for the BHA4310 is a 7/16 x 20 tpi, and uses 3/16 piping. The bigger 7/16 union uses 1/4 piping, but you don't want that one.

The other end of the pipe can use a standard TM606031

#15 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

What I think you do mean is using the following - copy and paste each parts - and you will get the desired result

BHA4706

C5192A

3H550

233220A

BHA4310

The male union for the BHA4310 is a 7/16 x 20 tpi, and uses 3/16 piping. The bigger 7/16 union uses 1/4 piping, but you don't want that one.

The other end of the pipe can use a standard TM606031

Wow.thanks t everyone who replied, lots of ideas there  for me to ponder, I should have mentioned that my Mini is running a 1.8 vvc K Series engine, that makes my clutch which is sat on my gearbox miles away from the clutch master cylinder, that's why using a standard braided, banjo style coupling from a mini no good as it is too short. My options are therefore to run a brake line from the M/Cyl along the bulkhead and then fit it to a bracket mounted near the slave cylinder for the clutch, and then use a flexi braided line from there to the actual clutch. Didn't realise until this thread stated that the reason for a flexihose there at the slave cylinder was due to the vibration at the gearbox perhaps threatening the line, so thanks for that, either that or I will just bite the bullet on pay day and get an extra long braided line specially made up. Thanks again everyone for their input, interesting. just as a matter of thought......if I do manage to concoct a system using a banjo what actual banjo bolt do I use?    i mean in  length? can I use the banjo bolt that mini suppliers supply when you buy a standard clutch master cylinder braided hose line?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users