3 replies to this topic

#1 classicmininyc

classicmininyc

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

I ordered the Group 2 Mexico Arch (Front – 4 1/2″ to inner edge, 5″ to outer lip.

Rear – 4 1/2″ to inner edge, 5″ to outer lip) and 13x7 deep dish wheels (-7 offset) to be running the Yokohama A048R 175/50/13 days.

Any idea what size spacers I will need to run to have the wheels/tires flushed perfectly?  Thanks

Mini Group 2 Mexico Arch – ABS Motorsport

#2 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:08 AM

Wait until you've fitted the arches and wheels and then measure would be my suggestion. I run 9mm spacers with my Mexico arches and 13x8 wheels but all minis are different.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

You don’t really want to run any spacers.

fit your wheels set your ride height trim the body work for clearance then fit the arches.  And don’t forget the factory reduced the movement of the steering rack to stop true to body contact even after trimming the body.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Ideally keep the spacer thickness as small as possible in order to achieve clearance between rear tyre inner sidewall and radius arm.

Similarly, on the front the tyre inside edge should be just enough to clear the inner wheel arch on full lock. The Sportspack cars actually had lockstops to prevent tyres hitting the inner wing. I have used 1 cm as the desired clearance between tyre inner wall and radius arm on the rear. On the front a clearance of 2 cm is about ideal.

Wheel arch extensions are intended to allow the correct fitting of selected wheels/tyres without the wheels projecting beyond the bodywork. In fact, the width of the arch extension should be chosen to suit the wheels/tyres, not the other way around.

Doing this keeps the steering geometry as good as it can be with very wide wheels, remembering that the steering is actually designed for 3.5" wide wheels with 145 section width tyres. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users