#1 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Hi folks,

Looking to replace the idler bearing on an A+ block, the current one is 35mmOD, 22.2mmID, a Torrington one. I want to replace because the needles have quite a bit of slack in them, you can move them back and forth quite easily, or is this normal? Current one is still the original one I think, marked Torrington.

I have read a lot of horror stories about these bearings going boom so want to know what I should replace them with.

Thanks!

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:40 PM

The block does not have an idler bearing.  The idler gear and bearings are housed in the gearbox and transfer case.

i presume you have an A+ engine and have a later rod type gearbox.

have a look on Guessworks web site as he sells the right ones.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,918 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:31 PM

Be aware of some of these Bearings getting about out there, they are sub-standard. Do a search for Counterfeit Bearings.

Torrington were bought out by Timken, who then sold them to Koyo Bearings. These are all good quality and equal to OEM.

#4 Coolingthunder

Coolingthunder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:52 AM

Be aware of some of these Bearings getting about out there, they are sub-standard. Do a search for Counterfeit Bearings.

Torrington were bought out by Timken, who then sold them to Koyo Bearings. These are all good quality and equal to OEM.

Hi Moke, reading some of these threads is what actually made me make this post. I started getting the impression Koyo was no good anymore either, and ended up being more confused than I was at first (maybe I should stop going on googling sprees at 1am but that's something else)

I messaged John Guess, awaiting his reply. Finding halfway decent quality parts (especially critical ones like bearings) can be such a hassle sometimes.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,918 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Koyo, NSK, FAG, NTN, INA, RHP are all good.

Koyo are effectively OEM on these cars.In the Gearbox and suspension, their's are about the only ones I fit now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users