Photo
- - - - -

Is It Ok To Attend A Mini Meet If You Don't Have A Mini?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

So, I recently arrived in the UK and I was wondering if it would be ok to attend a local Mini meet (once the vaccine is distributed and it's safe to meet up of course) even if you don't have a Mini? 

I'd love to see the local Minis and see what the local Mini scene is like. It's always awesome to see other people's builds and just enjoy the different styles that each person puts on their own Mini. 

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

100% yes...most if not all Mini meets are free to attend and any organiser who doesnot welcome non Mini owners is doing the brand a dis service.. where will the new Mini owners come from if we dont welcome people who are not yet mini owners but may well be one day

#3 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:05 PM

Of course V-RS...everyone with an interest is welcome as far as I'm concerned 😬😬

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:10 PM

A lot of Mini enthusiasts don't attend local Mini events in their Mini but in a non-Mini daily driver modern car......often this is because their Mini is being rebuilt/restored or if there is rain or winter salt on the roads. Some also 'never' turn up in their Mini because their Mini 'project' is taking far longer than expected or costing far more to restore than they expected..... :lol:

Edited by mab01uk, 22 January 2021 - 07:11 PM.

#5 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:00 PM

In a word, yes. It was a good 2 years before I was able to bring my mini to a S.U.N.M.C meet, I'm sure some didn't believe I had one lol

Where in the UK are you based?

#6 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

In a word, yes. It was a good 2 years before I was able to bring my mini to a S.U.N.M.C meet, I'm sure some didn't believe I had one lol

I'm in Southampton :) 

I took my first walk outside yesterday and while I spotted a Reliant Robin (first one I've ever seen) and a mk2 2-door Cortina, I did not see a Mini yet, 

#7 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:41 PM

I took my first walk outside yesterday and while I spotted a Reliant Robin (first one I've ever seen) and a mk2 2-door Cortina, I did not see a Mini yet,
Was it warm enough for you haha. Get yourself to Brighton in May for the l2b, I'm hoping mine survives the 200 mile journey, that's if it goes ahead of course

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

Maybe not right at this moment though, eh folks?  :errr:

#9 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Was it warm enough for you haha. Get yourself to Brighton in May for the l2b, I'm hoping mine survives the 200 mile journey, that's if it goes ahead of course

Still super cold and wet, especially coming from the Cape Town summer :P  :lol:

#10 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

Definitely come along to some Mini meets once you're able! I'm not far from you at all, just along the coast in Fareham. Once "normality" is back up and running again, you should come along to the Midweek Minis which is usually held up on Portsdown Hill on Wednesday evenings, followed by a convoy to a pub or other nearby location for a bit of a drive and some dinner. Half the time people come along in non-Mini cars but everyone is always welcome! Check out the Facebook group and feel free to join  :proud: https://www.facebook...81324228816445 

#11 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

Definitely come along to some Mini meets once you're able! I'm not far from you at all, just along the coast in Fareham. Once "normality" is back up and running again, you should come along to the Midweek Minis which is usually held up on Portsdown Hill on Wednesday evenings, followed by a convoy to a pub or other nearby location for a bit of a drive and some dinner. Half the time people come along in non-Mini cars but everyone is always welcome! Check out the Facebook group and feel free to join  :proud: https://www.facebook...81324228816445 

Thank you! I will definitely join the group! :) 

#12 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:39 AM

We welcome anyone to our group, most people will offer to take you for a drive too if you don’t have a running car

How long are you in the UK for?

#13 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

We welcome anyone to our group, most people will offer to take you for a drive too if you don’t have a running car

How long are you in the UK for?

I just started a job here, so hopefully for a little bit :) 

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

I think the way to look at joining in on meets and the like is they aren't only 'Mini' Meets, but also 'Mini Enthusiasts' Meets ;D

#15 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:57 PM

Welcome Vinay!

Yes you’d be more than welcome to attend a mini show without a mini! Before mine was finished I used to visit the Cooper day at Beaulieu in the New Forest and the British Mini club one at Stanford Hall.

Whilst my daily driver changed over the years I’ve always attended Mini shows in such cars as an MG ZR, Ford Focus and Honda Civics without anyone batting an eye lid...so go and enjoy!!

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 24 January 2021 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users