#1 milton80

milton80

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Afternoon All,

After many many years of wanting one I finally managed to get myself a mini just before Xmas locally, (88 Austin “jet black”) After a heart over head decision it came home with me, now I’ve got it home and started digging it needs a fair bit of work (floors/boot/front end.. I could go on! 🙈)

The issue I have is I live in a flat and the garage is on the other side of the block so I need something like a 100 meter extension cable to reach. I guess it would be ok for general things (grinder/drill etc) but would it be safe for something that draws high power? (Spot welders etc)

Has anybody gone down the generator route? Are they compatible with welders etc?

Ive no idea electrical wise with such things as it all gonna be new to me!

Cheers Andy

#2 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

Only speaking from my personal experience, I chose a spot welder and welder that can operate on lower voltage.  Here in the States, our typical wall power is 110 volts and high power is 220V.  Given the Mini is rather thin metal, a high power welder and/or spot welder is not required.  Both my welder and spot welder have an adapter for both 110V and 220V.   The 220V adapter allows for welding of rather thick metal, therefore unnecessary.   I have only had need for the 110V which allows me to use a standard power extension cord.  Perhaps you can find similar welders in the UK that only require low voltage being able to use a standard extension cord.

Good Luck..   Lone Star Mini (youtube)

#3 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:44 PM

Generator need to be quit big for welding I would suggest something like 4kw min to be able to weld car panels. That is around 9hp and that will consume around 1.5 litres of petrol an hour or more demanding on load so not cheap or neighbour friendly.
Use cordless power tools for everything else. And good ones ain’t cheap either.

Ac

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:27 PM

I frequently need to weld from a Generator. Mine's only 3.6 kW Petrol and for stuff up to about 90 Amps Weld Current, it's fine. It would easily do all the panel work on a car.

Cordless Tolls maybe an option, but tools like an Angle Grinder burns through the charge in the battery fairly quick, so you'd likely need a good few batteries so you're not waiting around for them to charge, but considering the price of these (decent ones), other power options would be considerably more economical.

It may also be worth investigating a Solar Set up, with PV Cells charging a Battery Bank that then feed in to an Inverter. These are VERY popular in these parts, with many people running their entire house from them, but you won't need anything as big as that. After the initial outlay, running costs are extremely low and unlike the Generator, is silent. It would likely cost more than a Generator to set up though.

#5 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

My shed is offgrid.  I have 200w of solar linked to a MPPT charge controller, feeding 2 x 1.2kWh 12v batteries (i.e. 2.4kWh, or enough juice to run a kettle on boil for an hour - though you don't really want to go beyond 50% charge).

I also run a 2kW pure sine wave inverter, so I have access to both 240V and 12V in the shed, which is obviously handy!

I regularly run a 100w strip light, 700w air compressor, and mains power tools in there.  I'm in there usually once a week, and in the depths of winter the batteries charge back up to float in 2-3 days (checked via the charge controller app).  Between March and October it's usually within 1 day.  Anything requiring serious juice for lengthy periods gets extension lead treatment. I've welded once but more for fun - anything of any thickness will exceed the inverter max.

This set up cost me about £550. Inverter was £230 of that.

I can provide links if useful.  Photos below

https://photos.app.g...kesfdhRWrJ49mc6

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

Very interesting

#7 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:22 PM

I've also found that power tools are smoother and quieter running off the inverter as there is less impedance than running long AC Cables through the house and garden.

Feels good to be 0g/kWh carbon too.  Perhaps Mr Khan should let me offset that against the ULEV charge!

#8 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

You have a very valid point, on the carbon foot print, and I agree their should be an "incentive" to follow your route for ingeuity in sheds and garages

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:39 PM

Any links to the parts you used T.Harper? 
Very interested in doing similar for a garage that has no power and is across a back street

#10 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:54 PM

Panels: https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

MPPT charge controller - note get "Smart" not "Blue" for connectivity to your smartphone: https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

Batteries: https://www.batterym...isure-battery/

Cabling and connections - all ebay.

The controller and batteries seem to have gone up in price but you can shop around, and obviously consider your spec. Key thing is to look for a decent leisure battery - not car, as it needs to be happy on long draws rather than cold cranking amps.  Have a read around the topic and once you have the  MPPT charge controller you can set it up for your specific batteries (i.e. allowing changes in float voltage for temperature changes etc).

There aren't lots of great guides on this to be honest, but if you read around sites focused on camperhomes, boats etc then you start to get a good idea.  One thing that isn't particularly well covered is grounding - the inverters usually have a connection to ground them - in case of lightening strikes or faults.  You can buy earthing rods from screwfix and then run a simple wire to it, then you are protected.

#11 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:58 PM

Inverter - again this is up about £40.  Wonder if it's the B word...

https://www.amazon.c...p_y1EdGbZ7ZPF5D

#12 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

Rather than set up all the power could it be cheaper to rent a garage with power just to do the work then move it back in when finished

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

Thanks T.Harper - very useful. 
I can build that up gradually too as initially reliable 12V for LED lighting is the first thing so presumably a couple of panels, the controller and one battery should get me going.

#14 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

Yep exactly. Everything can be added to apart from charge controller and inverter which need to be sized appropriately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users