6 replies to this topic

#1 edp

edp

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 05:51 PM

Hi, I have a 1985 Mini Mayfair which has been fitted but Supalite alloy wheels with the original tyre size of 145/70x12.

​I recently replaced all 4 tyres but the new tyres were much 'chunkier' than the Nankang tyres that were removed. I only changed them due to age - the tread was still legal but cracks were appearing.

Since doing this, the drivers side wheel catches really badly when on left-hand full lock. It is catching on the lower front edge of the wheel arch. There seems to be very little clearance even when not on full lock.

Since I have had the car it has felt very bouncy, apparently more so than it should be. I have changed all 4 shock absorbers for standard units without much change to the handling and I still think the car sits very low? Am I right?

WmroX4L.jpg

Which makes me wonder - do I need to do the cones? As yet uninspected, but not changed in my ownership of 2 years. Could they be the cause of the low ride and wheel catching?

Also maybe useful:

9DuzVAP.jpg

Thanks, any help much appreciated!

Edited by edp, 23 January 2021 - 06:44 PM.

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:21 PM

Regards the front wheels, I would imagine as it is an 85 model, the suspension cones will have now gone flat.

All the weight is at the front - engine mainly - and with you sat in the car - hence - drivers side catching, there is not a lot of wriggle room left (space)

You do have a couple of options - new cones / HiLo / fitting a spacer on the knuckle joint to get a bit more height

Interesting to see what other members can add

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:33 PM

So the new tyres are wider than the old ones. 

time to spend money or servicing the front suspension.

new rubbers donuts, new knuckles and maybe the bottom arm and tie bar rubbers as well.

#4 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:00 AM

Front cones need replacing, Minis should sit fairly high on their cones. This is our Thirty at 6 months old, look at the gap between the tyre and the arch. With age I’ve recently replaced all the cones and have fitted hi-los to allow me to raise up the suspension travel once the new cones have settled. Transformed the ride and no longer shakes the fillings from my teeth!Attached File  D1979F8D-DB80-413B-9710-36F9D36943C2.jpeg   78.39K   8 downloads

#5 edp

edp

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:22 PM

Thank you for these replies - all very useful! Looks like front suspension service is the next job... 

You do have a couple of options - new cones / HiLo / fitting a spacer on the knuckle joint to get a bit more height

Think hilo would be a good addition - will do this at same time as cones. 

So the new tyres are wider than the old ones.

Assumed the new tyres, being the same size as the old, would not be wider! But, yes, the profile does seem different.

Transformed the ride and no longer shakes the fillings from my teeth!attachicon.gif D1979F8D-DB80-413B-9710-36F9D36943C2.jpeg

This is a great reference, thank you... looking forward to seeing how much the ride is improved. 

This is the shopping list... anything I've missed? Will post back here when job is done. Thanks again, Ed.

14yVTKX.jpg

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:40 PM

Do you need these ?

https://www.spanko.n...99e_avatar.jpeg

In 1984 when the Mini was put onto 12" wheels as standard several small details were changed. One was to include a thick washer under the knuckle joint (21A1845) to raise the suspension a little in order to gain wheel clearance and suspension travel.

#7 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:52 PM

Don't think you will need 2 x 21A423MS as they should come with  2 x GSV1118EVO - do just check they do

Also, I see you have ordered 2 pairs of HiLo- are you doing just the front or the rear too ? If you are replacing the rears, then you need the long struts to replace the rear trumpet, If you are only replacing the front, then you only need on pair of HiLo - not 2

You will need 2 x GHF224 and possibly 2 x PWZ207 & 2 x 2A4328

Undo the nuts on the lower fulcrum pins 2A4362 and see what the thread is like, then order these if need be as well, you will also need 2 x GHF333 & FNZ506, personally, I would use GHF223 instead of the FNZ506 as these are only nuts, the 223 are nyloc nuts and a bit more trustworthy.

Probably wait until you have the said parts off, and you can see what need replacing better then

Edited by richmondclassicsnorthwales, 24 January 2021 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users