#1 hoskinsss

hoskinsss

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Hi,

Other than next to the front mounting points the subframe is in really solid condition for it’s age so I definitely want to repair. (assuming it is original)

You can see from the photos, other than surface rust, it has rusted opening up what looks like original apertures. My question is what was the original shape/dimensions of the aperture so I can recreate.

If anyone can please post a close up photo of this area of their subframe I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Attached File  402F5809-2B4E-4910-BA51-9E9281D4134A.jpeg   45.94K   5 downloads

Attached File  158B8CC2-6E06-493A-8BAF-4FCCC44126F4.jpeg   55.1K   7 downloads

Attached File  5B7FD9AB-17BB-42D6-9E9F-53211D4F5CB7.jpeg   32.25K   4 downloads

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:41 PM

Personally I would not try to do any sort of repair to that sub-frame. I would buy a new one and then \i could have confidence in its strength.

#3 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:57 AM

Yeah its too far gone.

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:52 AM

Strength is key here, the main points are compromised and this is something you just can't piece together like a jigsaw

3 points of view so far all saying the same, .sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:58 AM

As above, both front mounting points are shot. Sand blast the frame and i’m confident you’ll find other issues. Fet a TMF+ membership (£5) and one of Minispares none genuine frames. They've started making their own due to the poor quality of previous non genuine offerings.

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

Because you can buy new you probably should.If it is really sound everywhere else it is not beyond repair in my cheapskate view.Steve..

#7 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

That’s scrap really I’m afraid, time for a new one

#8 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:35 AM

Ultimately anything's repairable but realistically that's bin fodder.

#9 hoskinsss

hoskinsss

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Due to wax oil and under seal early in the mini life the rest of the frame IS in really great shape other than these inaccessible areas.

I guess I was suffering with tunnel vision - trying to cling onto originality and a few £££. LOL

@humph I have TMF+ membership and hence Minispares discount  :highfive: I latched onto that quickly at the start of the project.

but which subframe are you recommending? remember it is a 1972.

FAM6292 listed as genuine or MS45D non genuine? I want avoid the non genuine fitting horror stories I’ve read on here before now. You see I did previously consider ditching and buying new  :shifty: .

Attached Files

#10 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:43 AM

I bought a minispares non genuine one, it fitted really well

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

I have a lightly used genuine one in excellent condition - it has done very little mileage. Could be yours for less than the price of a repro.

PM me if interested.

#12 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

As above, both front mounting points are shot. Sand blast the frame and i’m confident you’ll find other issues. Fet a TMF+ membership (£5) and one of Minispares none genuine frames. They've started making their own due to the poor quality of previous non genuine offerings.

When did MS started to sell that subframe ?

#13 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:24 PM

I built a few subframes up using the Mini Spares rear subframes.

They are fine....

#14 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:59 PM

I bought a minispares non genuine one, it fitted really well

+1 - same here - no problems with the MS supplied non-gen I fitted but I would guess the actual manufacturer could be supplying to other sellers so they might be available elsewhere?

#15 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:54 AM

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Due to wax oil and under seal early in the mini life the rest of the frame IS in really great shape other than these inaccessible areas.

I guess I was suffering with tunnel vision - trying to cling onto originality and a few £££. LOL

@humph I have TMF+ membership and hence Minispares discount  :highfive: I latched onto that quickly at the start of the project.

but which subframe are you recommending? remember it is a 1972.

FAM6292 listed as genuine or MS45D non genuine? I want avoid the non genuine fitting horror stories I’ve read on here before now. You see I did previously consider ditching and buying new  :shifty: .

I used MS45 on my 69 Elf. It's out of stock at the moment. You could use MS45LATE and cut the exhaust hangers off it (or use them).

When did MS started to sell that subframe ?

The story goes that the supplier they used for non gen subframes before subcontracted the fabrication out to another company, that's when the big fitment problems started.  I know a few restorers that sent subframes back to various suppliers because the radius arms woundn't go on straight.  MS took it upon themselves to get their own made and control the quality.  They did back around this time last year.  At least three restorers recommended them to me over the genuine version saying that the fit was great.  Would be interesting to hear others' experiences.

Edited by humph, 25 January 2021 - 08:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users