16 replies to this topic

#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

I'd like to upgrade my audio in my 1990 Mainstream.

I have looked at all different options, one idea is having the headunit converted for Audio out and bluetooth, but then I came across this:

https://www.classicc...ooth-amplifier/

and a US version:

http://www.outofsigh...o.com/home.html

Has anyone fitted either of these? It seems ideal to me, keep existing factory headunit (non functioning of course) and have modern benefits.

Edited by beardylondon, 25 January 2021 - 03:51 PM.

#2 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

These are my plan for my Elf so watching with interest.

I'm also wondering about their hidden speakers for under the seat.

https://www.classicc...en-loudspeaker/

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

Hunting around and I found this video

and he installed this:

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B08M5NR3P8/

slightly different version

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B08932H5RH/

only issue it seems is that its unprotected bluetooth, so anyone can connect

Edited by beardylondon, 25 January 2021 - 04:52 PM.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:55 PM

I paid just £50 for a complete FM radio/mp3 (4x50w) unit with bluetooth from Halfords. I can control the lot from a phone app. It's even got a wired mike & voice control for handsfree calls, satnav etc. It's single din & about 4 inches deep.

It also has auxiliary in, so you could run the existing unit in to it if you wanted. Use a high-low converter if it only has amplified speaker connections.

I'm sure there are many similar units that'll be more functional & cheaper than a niche stand alone amp.

#5 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

I've seen those, good value if thats what you want, but I'd rather not have a naff modern headunit in my car. I would like to keep the Philips OEM headunit and hide the bluetooth amp.

I paid just £50 for a complete FM radio/mp3 (4x50w) unit with bluetooth from Halfords. I can control the lot from a phone app. It's even got a wired mike & voice control for handsfree calls, satnav etc. It's single din & about 4 inches deep.

It also has auxiliary in, so you could run the existing unit in to it if you wanted. Use a high-low converter if it only has amplified speaker connections.

I'm sure there are many similar units that'll be more functional & cheaper than a niche stand alone amp.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:27 PM

My point was it's small enough to hide & control via the app. You could rig up a wired remote too.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:44 PM

Ah ok got you!

And as it’s got a ISO plug, pretty simple install.

My point was it's small enough to hide & control via the app. You could rig up a wired remote too.

Edited by beardylondon, 26 January 2021 - 12:44 PM.

#8 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:39 PM

One problem I can see with some of the options present so far, volume or track control needs to be from phone, which means not while underway as that is illegal.

Id like a controller of some sort on or under dash within easy reach.
As for keeping oem headunit, there was a video from Classic Mini Workshop showing how to add bluetooth onto the phillips mini (or rover equivalent) headunit. Needs to be dismantled and the BT board soldered into headunit board, but it was a completely stealth setup.

#9 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

Currently it's not illegal if you aren't using the phone for communication, which is how Jimmy Carr got away with it, by saying he was taking notes. Anyway they are changing the law soon, so point taken. However voice control of mobile phone is fine.

I did see that video on converting to bluetooth, looks too complicated and still using the old guts of it, which are pretty pony I believe.  Also I don't want to potential screw up my OEM headunit, they are worth silly money on Ebay I noticed.

One problem I can see with some of the options present so far, volume or track control needs to be from phone, which means not while underway as that is illegal.

Id like a controller of some sort on or under dash within easy reach.
As for keeping oem headunit, there was a video from Classic Mini Workshop showing how to add bluetooth onto the phillips mini (or rover equivalent) headunit. Needs to be dismantled and the BT board soldered into headunit board, but it was a completely stealth setup.

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

Yes, can't see how an app on your phone's touch screen is any different to a modern infotainment gizmo, espeshully if it's just fronting your phone via Carplay etc.

Had a thunk, you could maybe stick a reduced depth unit on some drawer runners so it pushes out of sight under the passenger parcel shelf.

Also of interest? - scroll down, it's not a broken link!

#11 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:15 AM

Thanks very much.

By the way, which stereo did you buy from Halfords? The Pioneer looks good.

Yes, can't see how an app on your phone's touch screen is any different to a modern infotainment gizmo, espeshully if it's just fronting your phone via Carplay etc.

Had a thunk, you could maybe stick a reduced depth unit on some drawer runners so it pushes out of sight under the passenger parcel shelf.

Also of interest? - scroll down, it's not a broken link!

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:40 AM

MVH-S410BT

Quite impressed with the sound quality considering the price. Voice control's been a bit iffy, but probs down to sticking the mike through the roof lining of my rattily old diesel van   >_<

Their App is "Smart Sync"- just discovered it's been "upgraded"  :huh: , tend to agree with the comments on Playstore, it was better looking & more intuitive before  :(

Edit: app upgraded again, much better now

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

Thanks very much.

It looks I will need something like this to convert the existing Philips DIN connections to ISO.

https://www.classicc...o-loom-adaptor/

Anyone know of any cheaper options?

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:38 PM

Being a tight wad I usually snip 'n splice with tape, or a choc box if I'm being flash. Appreciate you might not want to cut chunks from your loom.

https://www.amazon.c...01BVAUZUC&psc=1 ??? There's fleabay of course, but it'd probs ship from China

...can't remember if it came with one, might've done ----- managed to find the fitting instructions it does.

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:56 PM

thanks, however that doesn't look right to me

I found this earlier....

https://www.ebay.co....d/182180246740?

Edited by beardylondon, 26 January 2021 - 05:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users