#1 grumpy2

grumpy2

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: Wirral Minis

Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Not seen this before but Huddersfield Minis are selling a 'kit' to assemble what looks like a complete car for £12000. 

Painted body shell, interior, front and rear subframes. Engine, Wheels (not tyres) and loads of other bits and bobs included. 

what do folks think about this? Certainly make a nice kit to assemble but not much info about what's actually what. 

#2 milton80

milton80

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:15 PM

He has done quite a few of these lately, ideal to keep you busy during the winter without having to dealing with all the oily dirty crap of a general rebuild...

#3 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:32 PM

With their reputation of aftersales care - I wouldnt.

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

I've seen a couple on there, like you say not a lot of information about them. Engine could be knackered since they've sprayed the whole lot and stuck a new water pump on to make it look good :lol:. The main ones that have caught my eye was the 'vans' which were clubman estate shells but again no mention of this. some of the underneath looks a bit iffy to me on the current one on ebay...

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 20 February 2021 - 08:56 AM

I've seen a couple on there, like you say not a lot of information about them. Engine could be knackered since they've sprayed the whole lot and stuck a new water pump on to make it look good :lol:. The main ones that have caught my eye was the 'vans' which were clubman estate shells but again no mention of this. some of the underneath looks a bit iffy to me on the current one on ebay...

That one did the rounds onf FB very quickly :lol: Shame though, as it looks alright once built! Although tried to sell it for £25k  O_O 

#6 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:51 AM

Oversills usually I wouldn’t bother.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:22 AM

Aren’t they the ones who allegedly sold the ex “salvage hunters classic cars” mini to someone on here and the DVLA refused to accept it was rebuilt from enough original parts and the new owner had major issues.

Edited by beardylondon, 21 February 2021 - 08:15 PM.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:57 PM

Perhaps, when you've got a good amount of time to burn, go have a look for yourself. Perhaps turn a bit of a deaf ear to anything they may have to say, look for yourself and draw your own conclusions. Also, just keep in mind, with just about anything like this from just about any supplier, they are not working to a standard, but setting a price, then trying to keep as far under that as they can in order to make money from it.

Just one question I have here in my ignorance of local rules in the UK, but how does one get on registering such a vehicle ?

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:30 PM

Aren’t they the ones who allegedly sold the ex “salvage hunters classic cars” mini to someone on here and the DVLA refused to accept it was rebuilt from enough original parts and the new owner had major issues.

Yes! And also the car that's on eBay on thier account has oversills so what else is bodged?

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:32 PM

If they have the logbook of the original vehicle before restored all that's needed is an MOT test and then VED (road tax)

#11 grumpy2

grumpy2

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: Wirral Minis

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:56 AM

Interesting observations here. I'm not considering buying one I just thought it was an interesting idea and wondered what others, wiser than I, thought.

To me the lack of info is the problem, whats been done to the engine and gearbox?, how have the shell repairs been carried out etc. Having carried out a couple of full restorations (MGBs) I think theres little to compare to the satisfaction of knowing the every component has been replaced, rebuilt or repaired. 

£12000 for a good quality kit seems fair value but if its just junk thats been cleaned and repainted then its money down the drain.

#12 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 05:43 PM

Yes and you have to ask yourself, if they are that good
Kits, why aren’t they building them up into road going Cars and selling them on?

#13 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:17 AM

Probably due to 100 hours at £70hr labour would cost another £7K to add to the finished price?Steve..

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:15 AM

Just one question I have here in my ignorance of local rules in the UK, but how does one get on registering such a vehicle ?

If the car (in practice the chassis number) isn't registered then it would need an IVA inspection at a government inspection centre to prove it meets the minimum safety standards. So, it really depends on where they're finding donors. If they have a V5 registration document it shouldn't be much of a problem. Just a number plate could be enough if they were abandoned in a garage years ago, but we've had "Statutory Off Road Notifications" since 1998. That had to be declared annually to avoid being charged road tax, so any that came off the road after then are less likelly to have been just parked up & more likely to have had their registrations removed from the DVSA's records.

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:16 AM

Well their Labour cost isn’t that expensive in house, but I get your point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users