6 replies to this topic

#1 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 04:31 PM

Rebuilding my project and got the gear selector in, rod change, and can select all gears, unlit I connect up the bias barrel. At this point it won’t go into reverse again. The lever will lift but it won’t move over the gate. As soon as I remove the bias barrel all is fine again.

I know the obvious answer is remove the bias barrel, but I’d prefer to use it if I can. I fitted it as per the instructions provided and it does as it should i.e. provides some pressure against going into 1/2 and springs back to 3/4, so from that point of view I think it’s fitted correctly, see pic.

So I removed the bottom of the selector housing so the gate was out of the way. At this point I can select all gears including reverse.

So I’m a bit stumped. As far as I can tell the bias barrel shouldn’t effect the lifting of the gear lever but something is obviously happening to stop it clearing the gate when the bias barrel is attached.

Next move is to take the gear lever out of my Sidewalk and see how that works. If that doesn’t I’ll take the bottom off the housing on the Sidewalk and try that on the Elf. confused.

50985940242_ff02767453_b.jpg

50985832176_b4b5e4914f_b.jpg

Edited by humph, 27 February 2021 - 06:36 PM.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,953 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

There's probably a bit of wear in the Shifter Housing parts and also the Rubber Mounts that it's on won't help much here, but, there is some adjustment.

First, back out the Reverse Light Switch, then, on top of the Housing, there's a big nut on the Steady Rod, slacken that a little, then tilt the top of the Housing towards the right a little, about 1 - 2 mm would easily do it. Take a measurement before you start here. Then Tighten up the Nut again. As well as checking you can now get Reverse, check 1st and 2nd again too. Then last item is to reset the Reverse Light Switch.

#3 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Spider. Just to clarify, when you say tilt to the right, which direction am i looking from, front, back, one of the sides? What am I actually trying to achieve? Sorry for the questions.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:44 PM

I could have phrased that better.

If looking from the Back of the Car, to the front, tilt it a little in a clockwise direction.

#5 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Spider. Will try and get there tomorrow and give it a go.

Edited by humph, 27 February 2021 - 11:41 PM.

#6 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:41 PM

Spider, What do you believe the issue is? I’m trying to understand what rotating the housing will do.

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:57 PM

With a bit of wear in the Shifter Housing parts and / or the current Position of the Reverse Switch, it may not allow quite enough rotation when loaded up with the Bias Barrel, but with all the overall slack / play in the shifter Mech, when unloaded, they will move that extra bit.

Just thinking here a little more about it (sounds dangerous !) have a look at the very end of your Gearstick too, the small stub that comes out past the smaller ball. If the Shifter Housing wasn't aligned and driven this way for some time, that end of the Gearstick rubs against the Ramp that's on the bottom plate of the Shifter Housing, when shifting in to 3rd and 4th Gears, eventually resulting in it becoming stepped. I think I recall seeing an example of this on the forum in the past few years.

With that step in it, and with a Bias Barrel, it can make it just that much hard or not possible, to select reverse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users