#16 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:01 PM

Hi Simon,

just bought a part for 110GBP and was charged nearly 55GBP import taxes into sweden, what are MS plans for the EU customers to avoid this, i feel you will lose alot of customers?

I know the VAT has gone, but its a massive cost to bare, will you set up an EU warehouse?

cheers

David

We are just experimenting with a new carrier at the moment. The handling fee from them is around 6 Euros, you will still need to pay any Duty or VAT though. Do you have the breakdown of what DHL charged you?

Simon, I emailed you information on how you / Minispares could avoid excessive VAT and import duties for your EU customers.

The trouble is that Minispares do not clearly highlight the fact that shipping costs ARE included.

Hence the customs people at DHL, UPS, etc. apply an 'adjusted value of goods' as the basis for the VAT calculation which in my case was between 200 to 270% of the actual list price of the items.

The delivery note has to have a a separate section, clearly visible which says "shipping cost" or "delivery cost' at xxxGPB paid. And not a line somewhere within the the delivery note stating "DHL europe Express" or so.

This little mishap cost me over 70€ on my recent 130€ order with you guys. Even if at some point I might get it back due to my claim, the work and time that goes into such a claim is tremendous.

Edited by MiNiKiN, 08 April 2021 - 02:02 PM.

#17 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:40 PM

Hi Simon,

just bought a part for 110GBP and was charged nearly 55GBP import taxes into sweden, what are MS plans for the EU customers to avoid this, i feel you will lose alot of customers?

I know the VAT has gone, but its a massive cost to bare, will you set up an EU warehouse?

cheers

David

We are just experimenting with a new carrier at the moment. The handling fee from them is around 6 Euros, you will still need to pay any Duty or VAT though. Do you have the breakdown of what DHL charged you?

Simon, I emailed you information on how you / Minispares could avoid excessive VAT and import duties for your EU customers.

The trouble is that Minispares do not clearly highlight the fact that shipping costs ARE included.

Hence the customs people at DHL, UPS, etc. apply an 'adjusted value of goods' as the basis for the VAT calculation which in my case was between 200 to 270% of the actual list price of the items.

The delivery note has to have a a separate section, clearly visible which says "shipping cost" or "delivery cost' at xxxGPB paid. And not a line somewhere within the the delivery note stating "DHL europe Express" or so.

This little mishap cost me over 70€ on my recent 130€ order with you guys. Even if at some point I might get it back due to my claim, the work and time that goes into such a claim is tremendous.

Unfortunately all through every carrier there are new customs agents having to clear invoices they have never come across before. Carriage is charged on all of our invoices, and we cannot dictate to individual countries customs agents the best way to clear our goods. Unfortunately it has to be queried at the consumer end. Its not a Minispares Mishap, its customs in your country not dealing with it as they should

Having said that we are now a good way on with other trials that are dealing with new issues.

Lets not forget, nearly 50 of British people didn't want Brexit, one of which was me!

#18 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:46 PM

sorry for the off-topic!!!

Simon, is this you with Keith Dodd and ex-pat Brian Witty from Holland? Techno Classica Exhibition Essen 1995.

Attached Files

#19 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:11 PM

I started this thread and ended buying from a french seller, it worked out a lot cheaper than buying from the UK.

I did buy from rimmers 2 weeks ago, got charged 32 euros for import charges. For an £85 order !!!

I also bought from GUESSWORKS and didn't get charged VAT and no import duties either !!!! £100 order.

I don't understand it.

Your countries customs departments doesn't check every parcel, so you will only ever be charged your countries VAT and import duties if your countries customs department can be arsed to check your parcel.

They said on the news that around 20% of parcels are checked by UK customs, upon arrival into the UK - obviously it may be higher (or in some instances, lower) in other countries.

Just to let you all know, post-Brexit we've received more "well this is brilliant, I didn't get charged any VAT or duties, what a bargain" emails than "this is annoying, I've been charged VAT and duties, it's cost me more than it used to" emails. As far as we see here at Optimise, overall Brexit has meant many based in the EU now appear to be getting stuff that they import from the UK, cheaper than those based in the UK.

#20 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

sorry for the off-topic!!!

Simon, is this you with Keith Dodd and ex-pat Brian Witty from Holland? Techno Classica Exhibition Essen 1995.

No, not me. Jason King on the left, and Keith Dodd in the centre. In 1995 I would have been found on the front counter of a different Mini Store.

#21 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

Just to let you all know, post-Brexit we've received more "well this is brilliant, I didn't get charged any VAT or duties, what a bargain" emails than "this is annoying, I've been charged VAT and duties, it's cost me more than it used to" emails. As far as we see here at Optimise, overall Brexit has meant many based in the EU now appear to be getting stuff that they import from the UK, cheaper than those based in the UK.

I've had that short lived joy twice now, the customs charge usually comes in 2-3 weeks later by mail :-(

#22 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:12 AM

I started this thread and ended buying from a french seller, it worked out a lot cheaper than buying from the UK.

I did buy from rimmers 2 weeks ago, got charged 32 euros for import charges. For an £85 order !!!

I also bought from GUESSWORKS and didn't get charged VAT and no import duties either !!!! £100 order.

I don't understand it.

Your countries customs departments doesn't check every parcel, so you will only ever be charged your countries VAT and import duties if your countries customs department can be arsed to check your parcel.

They said on the news that around 20% of parcels are checked by UK customs, upon arrival into the UK - obviously it may be higher (or in some instances, lower) in other countries.

You won't get many of these responses from Germany. Every parcel HAS to got through customs. Parcels worth < €22,- will go straight through. Above is checked if customs fee is >€5,- because fees up to €5,- are not drawn in, so the parcel will go on; that makes effectively  €25...26 you get away with customs and VAT.

#23 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:10 PM

Yes, Simon is right, but:

- DHL handling fee is €6,- independant of the value of the goods

- VAT (here in Germany it is 19% for goods incl. shipping)

- if parts are not made in Europe additional 3.5...4.5% (I had to pay this on the whole parcel because nobody could see what of the parts were non-Europe)

Regards,

Helmut

I've had exactly the same in The Netherlands, even had goods that were shipped prior to Brexit but stuck due to covid receive a double tax charge... 4 months of processing time for my appeal!

Hi Spherix, I had some stuff delivered post-brexit here in NL, ordered pre-brexit from MS (this was back in January). Didn't pay a penny import or S&H fees. How odd that mine was free and yours wasn't!

#24 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

I think a lot of the problem is that uk companies haven't learnt how to play the game, ill give you a for instance. Post brexit i bought some lathe tooling from China which was well over the supposed tariff limit and should have meant import tax etc to pay. The parcel turned up, no whiff of taxes to pay simply because they tell porkies on the attached paperwork, according to the shipping document stuck to the parcel the goods total was £3.55 not the true amount by a long way, could this be done over here, I'm not sure but would make life alot easier for a lot of people.

Shooter

#25 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:41 PM

If only it was as simple as that.

I'm sure some people and companies do it in the UK but there are dangers to it apart from the legality

Don't forget the insurance cover is for the amount you declare. If it gets lost and you have to send out a replacement, but can only claim for less, you're out of pocket.

If HMRC or the VAT man come and do an inspection and they spot you are declaring different prices you will be in trouble.

What if the customer also uses your declared lower value to claim they were over charged.

Even in China they can be in trouble declaring lower values if caught.

#26 jomaoliveira79

jomaoliveira79

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:42 PM

I will be very direct:
I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANYTHING FROM ANY UK SELLER!

The problem is not only costs, but delays and a LOT of work with couriers. Last week I got a small packet that Minispares sent on the first week of the year! I am not kidding.
In recent years, I was buying an amount of 3.000 pounds per year. Now, I Will not get any new project cars as parts sourced locally are much more expensive...

THANK YOU BREXITEERS!

#27 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:51 PM

I will be very direct:
I WILL NEVER AGAIN BUY ANYTHING FROM ANY UK SELLER!

The problem is not only costs, but delays and a LOT of work with couriers. Last week I got a small packet that Minispares sent on the first week of the year! I am not kidding.
In recent years, I was buying an amount of 3.000 pounds per year. Now, I Will not get any new project cars as parts sourced locally are much more expensive...

THANK YOU BREXITEERS!

Your Welcome

#28 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:54 PM

I think a lot of the problem is that uk companies haven't learnt how to play the game, ill give you a for instance. Post brexit i bought some lathe tooling from China which was well over the supposed tariff limit and should have meant import tax etc to pay. The parcel turned up, no whiff of taxes to pay simply because they tell porkies on the attached paperwork, according to the shipping document stuck to the parcel the goods total was £3.55 not the true amount by a long way, could this be done over here, I'm not sure but would make life alot easier for a lot of people.

Shooter

That’s called tax evasion. No self respecting company will ever do this. Of course, in China they don’t care about laws.

#29 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:23 AM

If only it was as simple as that.

I'm sure some people and companies do it in the UK but there are dangers to it apart from the legality

Don't forget the insurance cover is for the amount you declare. If it gets lost and you have to send out a replacement, but can only claim for less, you're out of pocket.

If HMRC or the VAT man come and do an inspection and they spot you are declaring different prices you will be in trouble.

What if the customer also uses your declared lower value to claim they were over charged.

Even in China they can be in trouble declaring lower values if caught.

100% correct.

This is why the VAT rules changed.

If they (and complicit buyers) had not been dishonest trying to defraud HMRC in the 1st place this situation would not have occurred.

Edited by DomCr250, 12 April 2021 - 10:24 AM.

#30 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

Just a short anecdote: (non-mini-spares-related!)

Bought 8 wheelnuts via ebay 3/8" UNF, worth of goods €22.61; incl. postage €30.68, i.e. short over the limit of 25/26€.

Estimated delivery date: 25th March, delivered today 12th April (not really, because I found a card in my box that I could fetch the nuts at the post office tomorrow and pay)

Additional costs: VAT €7.60 + €6.- DHL fee

In total: €44.28 for 8 (eight) wheel nuts

What I learned out of this: never again, for this sort of money I can make them myself out of six-sided steel bar!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users