29 replies to this topic

#1 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:46 PM

I've posted this already but can't seem to find it.

Wiper issues and questions. my wipers don't park but they do if I have the lights on. thats odd because there doesn't appear to be a link apart from earth points between the two? If you test the green/orange wire at the wipers it should be 12v with ignition on. It isn't it shows an odd reading of about 0.3v. however if you switch the lights on you get 12.4v???? Any thoughts as to where in the loom I would have to go back to. Would it just be easier to run a new switched live wire to the terminal on the wipers.

Second question is it possible to get rid of the wiper arm on the steering column and replace it with switches in the dash. Has anyone used an intermittent system along with the two speed motor. Any ideas on how to wire. I spoke to David at Wired by Wilson who's good at this stuff and he said its difficult to do as you need an on off on on switch. I'd be happy to go with two switches on for speed and one for intemittent and a third momentary switch for the jets.

#2 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:18 PM

Not sure on your issue, sounds like a short on the wiring someplace.
Replacement park switches are low cost, easy to fit. I'd start there. I've seen most terminals and connectors under bonnet looking greenish and cruddy. Use a cleaning vinegar to remove such corrosion, get a little container to dip things in for a good half hour then rinse with baking soda solution to neutralize.

As for intermittant wipers, there as bit of kit available specifically for mini wiring connector. It is basically a relay with a built in capacitor. You use existing switch to turn on wiper, turn off immediately and wait until you need a second wipe, switch back on and leave it on. The relay repeats that same time interval to wipe again. This is the very same setup VW Passat's used to have back in the early '90's. When I found out the relay was a standard form factor as simple wiper relays, I fit one on my '84 VW Golf and it worked a treat. Might be possible to fit to a Mini without needing connectors etc.

Edited by Tornado99, 03 March 2021 - 09:19 PM.

#3 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 09:52 PM

Don't think its a short its a new loom the cars only done 2500 miles so its not corrosion either. But appreciate the thoughts.

i've seen a few intermittent systems available but wondered if someone has actually installed one. barring that I'd just like to get the park to work.

Switching to toggle switches rather than the column stalk would match the rest of my rally inspried dash. Its fairly straight forward with just the wipers i think. it would need a relay according to mr Wilson. The intermittent adds an additional complexity.

Attached Files

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:45 PM

Don't kid yourself on a faulty new loom. There's been human error on them... Wires missing usually lol.

In situations like this I'd strongly recommend a power probe to aid diagnosis. I honestly don't know where I'd be without mine (spend the extra for the one with the small screen for voltage readings.)

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:20 AM

Some looms power the rev counter off the same fuse. That could bring  it 12v if there's a short with the dash illum. The screen washer pump is also run off the same fuse, does it work normally?

#6 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:25 AM

Which one have you got Cal?

#7 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 08:32 AM

I have a really good multimeter. I used to just use a probe like a screwdriver which had an earth wire and a bulb in the handle. The multimeter offers more options but I agree the probes are handy.

I did add a loom to move the dials to the centre pod from the two behind the steering column. Perhaps ive crossed something in there. The washer jets work fine as do the wipers. Its just the park thats the problem.

Any thoughts in the switching appreciated.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:10 AM

[quote name="MiniMadRacer" post="3685953" timestamp="1614846306"]

Which one have you got Cal?[/quote

They've shot up in price, pre brexit these were around £80. I use this one.

https://www.amazon.c...wer pp03&sr=8-4

If the link doesn't work search amazon for

Powerprobe PP319FTCBLK Power Probe III - Black Circuit Tester

Edited by cal844, 04 March 2021 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:52 AM

Are the connections on the park switch in the right order? The middle connector is earth, the ignition feed is furthest from it on the bottom and the connector between them is feed to the stalk via the park switch. Sounds like it could be worth a try to run a temporary live feed. If that gets it working investigate what's going on with the connections from the fuse.

Also, does the flick wipe work normally? The stalk can be reassembled incorrectly, but I can't see how that would explain the lights on weirdness.

#10 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 12:44 PM

Ethel, I will check the park switch as suggested. I replaced the park switch when this issue first arose. But as always best to start with the obvious. I will run a temp live to the switch its the easiest thing to start with.

Regarding the flick wipe. I'm not sure that is working. I have 2 speed wipers up and up on the stalk and washers push on the end. That's all it seems to do. I presume you mean if I push down on the lever from the neutral position it should wipe once and stop? it doesn't so that may be an issue. if that was working I could forget about intermittent wipe.

As I said I'd like to replace the stalk with toggle switches perhaps an off/on/on for the speeds and a seperate momentary on for the washer. Anyone have a wiring diagram for that?

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:09 PM

Yes, that's what I meant.

Pretty sure you'll find a wiring diagram. Lots of kitcars and more "luxurious" BL models for inspiration, like MGBs. You'd want a 3 poles & throws on a generic switch - Park, 1st speed, 2nd speed. I'm sure there are purpose made ones, including in all styles of original Mini switches. 

#12 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:40 PM

if it helps, here's a photo of the (2 speed) wiper connector i took before i overhauled it to make sure i put everything back in the right place 

kFuGHci.jpg

#13 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:52 PM

Thanks guys everything helps. yes the green and orange one is the live feed with ignition on which is playing the odd games with me. LOL

#14 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

So I believe I found the issue. Attached is a pic of the fuse box. The double Green/orange wire was on the bottom fuse which is for the lighting circuit. My error when I first wired the car. The big green/orange wire in front was on fuse 5/6 and also seems to be part of the wipers because without it they don't work. I seem to have three green/orange? I'll check the wiring diagram. Anyway it works.

However the single wipe when you push down on the wiper stalk doesn't??? I suspect that is a faulty stalk. they don't seem to be great quality.

Had a good day because I also traced the flash fault to the stalk for the lights. The small brass tab that touches together when you pull the stalk is loose. I glued a tiny bit of heatshrink behind it which pulls the tab forward by no more than 1mm. All good lights flash.

Thanks everyone

Attached Files

#15 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 09:47 PM

Try another stalk but I think it's gonna be the park switch or wear on the ramp behind the cog on the motor that triggers it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users