Photo
- - - - -

Head Lamp Fault

Best Answer MiniCarJack , 07 March 2021 - 01:13 PM

Found the issue! This connector from the column stalk to the loom must've been disturbed or dislodged slightly, as after playing around with it for a bit, the lights are working again. 

qKOQlzc.jpg

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 06 March 2021 - 08:31 PM

Hi all, after having only passed its MOT yesterday, my 1991 mini seems to have developed a new electrical fault somewhere, whereby the headlamps don't work on dipped beam any more. Side lights work fine, full/main beam works fine, and the rear lights illuminate correctly. It's just the dipped beam in the front headlamps that doesn't seem to be working. Is there a particular colour wire(s) I should try to trace and narrow down the problem?

Cheers

Jack

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:44 PM

My 1994 car has 4 fuses for the dipped and main beam lights behind the speedo binnacle. Also check for power on the blue/red wire behind the grille.

#3 edp

edp

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:05 PM

I had exactly this problem a while ago. Tried all the obvious and eventually worked out it was the switch on the dash. Swapped this out and problem sorted.

#4 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:22 AM

I second that. Try swapping the switch. And keep spares of these!

#5 lordcakes

lordcakes

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

If your main beam works fine (when the indicator stalk is pushed away from you) then it's not likely to be the switch as that feeds this circuit. Unless it's just the main beam flash that you are testing which doesn't get its power from the main light switch.

#6 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 10:44 AM

If your main beam works fine (when the indicator stalk is pushed away from you) then it's not likely to be the switch as that feeds this circuit. Unless it's just the main beam flash that you are testing which doesn't get its power from the main light switch.

Main beam works when pushing the stalk forward, as well as on flash. So pretty much the entire lighting system works properly apart from dipped beam. I did wonder at first if the switch could be a culprit but it seemed odd that it was only dipped beam that failed, so power must still be getting delivered via the switch as you say. Either way I'll probably order one as a spare, but will start looking at the red/blue wire and associated fuse(s) and relay(s) and see what I can find! 

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 March 2021 - 12:07 PM

Poke about with the connectors behind the grill,they are always corroded to some degree and a clean cannot hurt.Of course your car may not have these being newer than mine.Steve..

#8 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 01:13 PM   Best Answer

Found the issue! This connector from the column stalk to the loom must've been disturbed or dislodged slightly, as after playing around with it for a bit, the lights are working again. 

qKOQlzc.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users