75 replies to this topic

#31 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 04:38 PM

As a starter I like the idea of remanufacturing the lock barrel with something more secure.

I'd pay over the odds for something like that.

Unfortunately the door glass frame is easily bent outwards to access the inside lock or ripped off to gain full access. A knackered door is a small price to pay for stealing a classic.

#32 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 07:52 PM

He didn’t take long to unlock it!

He was very quick - it was all over in five mins. However I should stress the video is edited as there was about a minute when he was off-camera, during which time he may well have been unlocking it.

Sorry this happened to you. Its my biggest fear regarding the minis and I'm super cautious about where I leave them. But your video shows how easy it could happen to anyone.

Did the thief actually start your mini or just disable the alarm?

#33 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:01 PM

He didn’t take long to unlock it!

He was very quick - it was all over in five mins. However I should stress the video is edited as there was about a minute when he was off-camera, during which time he may well have been unlocking it.

Sorry this happened to you. Its my biggest fear regarding the minis and I'm super cautious about where I leave them. But your video shows how easy it could happen to anyone.

Did the thief actually start your mini or just disable the alarm?

Thank you for your comment - I have learned my lesson and the next Mini I own will be strewn with security, even to the point of tethering it, as it's not unknown for thieves to use 'recovery' as a cover. I believe he disabled the alarm when he was crouched down in front of the car. He did start the Mini - from his arrival to departure was approximately five minutes, with us in ignorant bliss just feet away. 

#34 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:55 PM

What you need is an Automatrics M Track tracker... See thier videos on YouTube

#35 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:36 AM

These guys are fantastic, their YouTube videos are a great watch for anyone who is unfamiliar. They recovered a family members brand new Range Rover a few years ago.

Unfortunately these scum backs will take it if they want it. It’s just an attempt to slow them down to the point they give up, or find it when they dump it in the back of an estate for a few days to see if the tracker works.

#36 Project84

Project84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:52 AM

One of the things I used to do back in the day was fit the alarm siren inside the car - the theory being I might not be able to stop you breaking in but I'll cause you as much agro as I can whilst your in there.  :nuke:

#37 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:15 AM

https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/

I'm not sure if this is their website, but if it is, they are doing themselves no favours. Navigating around it is a nightmare. For a tech company I would expect better.

#38 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:39 AM

One of the things I used to do back in the day was fit the alarm siren inside the car - the theory being I might not be able to stop you breaking in but I'll cause you as much agro as I can whilst your in there.  :nuke:

It is a smart idea - especially if they can't easily locate the source of the sound. 

#39 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 11:42 AM

These guys are fantastic, their YouTube videos are a great watch for anyone who is unfamiliar. They recovered a family members brand new Range Rover a few years ago.

Unfortunately these scum backs will take it if they want it. It’s just an attempt to slow them down to the point they give up, or find it when they dump it in the back of an estate for a few days to see if the tracker works.

Thank you - I'll check them out and put it on the shortlist for my next Mini.

#40 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:39 PM

My insurer requires that my Mini be garaged at night.....obviously if I'm traveling that doesn't apply, but over here fewer and fewer people can even drive a manual shift car that I feel less vulnerable every day! :-)

#41 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 19 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

I agree with Spider about people ignoring alarms, with this in mind I’ve fitted the sounder inside the van, two reasons, it’s an extremely unpleasant place to be when the alarm is sounding, and it’s effectively outside as soon as it goes off because the door is open.

I have other security items that I’m not going to discuss for obvious reasons, but I would say that a little thought about making it awkward for the thief is well worth the time. 

100% spot on.  Years ago Top Gear magazine (back in the early 1990's) did a feature with a professional car thief operating in London, he stole only high performance exotic cars.  He basically cased the car for a few days, to work out the owners movements, then cut the handbrake cables and towed it away with a recovery truck with AA logos on it. He said nobody ever took any notice of a car being transported with the alarm going off ... think how many times you've seen one on the back of a recovery vehicle with the alarm clicking in and out? 

He claimed they nicked them early morning and they were in a container and in Europe by the afternoon.

His advice was to always park in gear with the wheels twisted towards the curb.  That way it's more difficult to pull it away.

#42 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:35 PM

I agree with Spider about people ignoring alarms, with this in mind I’ve fitted the sounder inside the van, two reasons, it’s an extremely unpleasant place to be when the alarm is sounding, and it’s effectively outside as soon as it goes off because the door is open.

I have other security items that I’m not going to discuss for obvious reasons, but I would say that a little thought about making it awkward for the thief is well worth the time. 

100% spot on.  Years ago Top Gear magazine (back in the early 1990's) did a feature with a professional car thief operating in London, he stole only high performance exotic cars.  He basically cased the car for a few days, to work out the owners movements, then cut the handbrake cables and towed it away with a recovery truck with AA logos on it. He said nobody ever took any notice of a car being transported with the alarm going off ... think how many times you've seen one on the back of a recovery vehicle with the alarm clicking in and out? 

He claimed they nicked them early morning and they were in a container and in Europe by the afternoon.

His advice was to always park in gear with the wheels twisted towards the curb.  That way it's more difficult to pull it away.

Some interesting insights - did he specify to which European country or countries the stolen cars were generally 'exported'?

#43 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 March 2021 - 03:11 PM

Some interesting insights - did he specify to which European country or countries the stolen cars were generally 'exported'?

I don't think a classic Mini is very likely to be worth the trouble exporting for a large profit or the type of car being stolen by an international criminal gang to end up in a container at the docks, much more likely to be stripped down for its parts and sold off on ebay or used to 'ring' and sell on to unsuspecting buyers with another Minis ID in the UK.

Edited by mab01uk, 22 March 2021 - 03:12 PM.

#44 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 March 2021 - 05:23 PM

When my classic Mini's were used as daily drivers I always used to fit Yale M69 Car/Van Security Deadlocks to both doors (half way down) and the boot, (as did companies like Wood & Pickett to their expensive coachbuilt Mini conversions). They were easier to fit to sliding window doors but could also be fitted into winding window doors if you were careful to avoid interfering with the glass drop area/channels.

9PNucYYm.jpg

Van security companies were fitting them until recently, not sure if the Yale or similar car/van security locks are still available today?

Originally designed by Yale, the ‘M69’ is well-known within the security industry, where it is used to provide additional protection for motor vehicle doors. There are five lengths of lock cylinder to suit different door thicknesses, fitting into LH and RH standard cases. This lock was once fitted as original equipment to Rolls Royces.

Operating bolt throws into striker in door post, and is held positively by action of lock cylinder.
Key is turned through 360° to throw and withdraw deadbolt. Keys can be withdrawn in either mode. Bolt withdraws fully flush into case.
With components separated, case is sunk into door-edge, mortice fashion. Cylinder is inserted through aperture cut in door panel and is engaged into top face of case. It is then screwed fully into position using two holes in lock face. Finally, set-screw on flange is tightened, and pegs may be driven into face to seal fixing holes. Striker is fitted to door-post, and a trimescutcheon is provided.
Brass pin-tumbler lock with up to 1000 combinations. Unshuttered. Brass keys, nickel plated in ‘SX’ series
Chromium-plated throughout.
Lock and cylinder are brass, case is zinc diecast with steel cover plate and brass extruded bolt. Steel striker and escutcheon.
Standard key cylinder
Available as pairs/sets

YKyLyrml.jpg

B7xwY73l.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 22 March 2021 - 05:29 PM.

#45 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Those locks are really cool!

If the original poster had had those, he'd have had to do something to the door to gain entry which would have taken longer and made more noise, and ultimately have climbed through the window which would have looked highly suspicious. There's a good chance he'd have given up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users