#46 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:16 PM

This is another anti-theft device I used to fit to my Minis. It was originally developed to stop the theft of commercial vehicles. The 1970's Autosafe device was connected within the hydraulic brake line between the wheel brake cylinders and the master cylinder. When the Autosafe key was turned the first press of the brake pedal actuated the device to inhibit the fluid flow within the brake system thereby maintaining the pressure and locking the brakes on. To release the brakes the Yale security key had to be used.

ITFhGa7.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 23 March 2021 - 11:17 PM.

#47 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 01:59 PM

When my classic Mini's were used as daily drivers I always used to fit Yale M69 Car/Van Security Deadlocks to both doors (half way down) and the boot, (as did companies like Wood & Pickett to their expensive coachbuilt Mini conversions). They were easier to fit to sliding window doors but could also be fitted into winding window doors if you were careful to avoid interfering with the glass drop area/channels.

9PNucYYm.jpg

Van security companies were fitting them until recently, not sure if the Yale or similar car/van security locks are still available today?

Originally designed by Yale, the ‘M69’ is well-known within the security industry, where it is used to provide additional protection for motor vehicle doors. There are five lengths of lock cylinder to suit different door thicknesses, fitting into LH and RH standard cases. This lock was once fitted as original equipment to Rolls Royces.

Operating bolt throws into striker in door post, and is held positively by action of lock cylinder.
Key is turned through 360° to throw and withdraw deadbolt. Keys can be withdrawn in either mode. Bolt withdraws fully flush into case.
With components separated, case is sunk into door-edge, mortice fashion. Cylinder is inserted through aperture cut in door panel and is engaged into top face of case. It is then screwed fully into position using two holes in lock face. Finally, set-screw on flange is tightened, and pegs may be driven into face to seal fixing holes. Striker is fitted to door-post, and a trimescutcheon is provided.
Brass pin-tumbler lock with up to 1000 combinations. Unshuttered. Brass keys, nickel plated in ‘SX’ series
Chromium-plated throughout.
Lock and cylinder are brass, case is zinc diecast with steel cover plate and brass extruded bolt. Steel striker and escutcheon.
Standard key cylinder
Available as pairs/sets

YKyLyrml.jpg

B7xwY73l.jpg

Many thanks for this - very useful, and the locks look great. I'll certainly look into these for next time.

#48 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:02 PM

This is another anti-theft device I used to fit to my Minis. It was originally developed to stop the theft of commercial vehicles. The 1970's Autosafe device was connected within the hydraulic brake line between the wheel brake cylinders and the master cylinder. When the Autosafe key was turned the first press of the brake pedal actuated the device to inhibit the fluid flow within the brake system thereby maintaining the pressure and locking the brakes on. To release the brakes the Yale security key had to be used.

ITFhGa7.jpg

Thank you for this - really insightful. Are they still available as I would definitely consider it for my next Mini?

#49 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:56 AM

ITFhGa7.jpg

Thank you for this - really insightful. Are they still available as I would definitely consider it for my next Mini?

Sadly Autosafe are no longer around, not sure if anything similar is on the market today and modern more complex braking systems on cars are not really compatible with it I would think.

Edited by mab01uk, 25 March 2021 - 11:56 AM.

#50 toppers3933

toppers3933

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:58 PM

When they attempted to steal my sisters mpi I was amazed how easily they disabled the alarm. It was so obvious a thing to do that I couldn’t believe it was even possible.

#51 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

When they attempted to steal my sisters mpi I was amazed how easily they disabled the alarm. It was so obvious a thing to do that I couldn’t believe it was even possible.

I was amazed too - I think he just literally pulled a wire.

When you say 'attempted' to steal your sister's MPI, what was it that prevented them (entirely understand if you'd rather not divulge)?  

#52 toppers3933

toppers3933

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

When you say 'attempted' to steal your sister's MPI, what was it that prevented them (entirely understand if you'd rather not divulge)?

I’d been out in the car earlier in the evening and had dropped a set of keys for another car in the footwell without realising. The thieves found these keys and unlocked the other car which caused the alarm to chirp as it unlocked. I heard this and came outside and disturbed them. This was when I found the mini jacked up as they were trying to remove the wheels.
Cue me sleeping in the other car that they now had the keys for.
I won’t mention how they disabled the alarm on the mini but it was incredibly easy.

#53 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:12 PM

I’d been out in the car earlier in the evening and had dropped a set of keys for another car in the footwell without realising. The thieves found these keys and unlocked the other car which caused the alarm to chirp as it unlocked. I heard this and came outside and disturbed them. This was when I found the mini jacked up as they were trying to remove the wheels.
Cue me sleeping in the other car that they now had the keys for.
I won’t mention how they disabled the alarm on the mini but it was incredibly easy.

Thank you - well done for foiling them.

#54 Steve_k

Steve_k

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:52 AM

A cheap tracker about £130 of ebay including 1st year subscription then £20 a year uses a giffgaff sim top up with £20 and ring it once a month so the sim stays active it txts you back it's location.
The unit can be hidden away hard wired and has battery backup and can be wired to offer remote disablement through a relay wired to what ever circuit you want.

Details here.

https://www.ebay.co....tm/121161325502

#55 Project84

Project84

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

ITFhGa7.jpg

My old man has something similar (all be it more modern) on this then new Isuzu Trooper - it was effectively a line lock operated via a cut key and worked in conjunction with an alarm.
It operated by stopping the car, inserting the key, pump the brake pedal until it was hard, with the foot hard on the pedal, turn the key & remove. It would also arm the alarm giving you 10 seconds to exit the car before going off.

The brakes would be locked on making the car pretty much immobile - a point that was made some time later when someone tried to nick it off his drive.

The TWOC's had used a stolen Transit to pull it onto the road with a rope, then tried to bump start it using the same van.

The following morning the police knocked at the door asking had he seen the Trooper - dad pointed to the empty space on the drive - turns out the car and the van were at the end of the road - blocking it where they had left it and given up - back door/spare wheel stoved in, skid marks all up the road! :D

#56 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:36 AM

When you all say "disable the alarm" do you mean just stopping it from making a noise ? or dissabling it fully ?

#57 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

There are lots of stories of people tracking their cars down and the Police not being interested, and telling them to just make an insurance claim. So unless you know some unsavoury types who are willing to go and find your car, I wouldn't bother.

A cheap tracker about £130 of ebay including 1st year subscription then £20 a year uses a giffgaff sim top up with £20 and ring it once a month so the sim stays active it txts you back it's location.
The unit can be hidden away hard wired and has battery backup and can be wired to offer remote disablement through a relay wired to what ever circuit you want.

Details here.

#58 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:25 PM

Details here.

#59 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:28 PM

Thank you for the info - trackers are a necessary layer of security. I think it is all about layers which discourage thieves enough to make them move on to the next unfortunate.

#60 Ratty165

Ratty165

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:33 PM

[quote name="Project84" post="3690127" timestamp="1618049050"]

[quote name="mab01uk" post="3687947" timestamp="1616541407"]

ITFhGa7.jpg[/quote]

My old man has something similar (all be it more modern) on this then new Isuzu Trooper - it was effectively a line lock operated via a cut key and worked in conjunction with an alarm.
It operated by stopping the car, inserting the key, pump the brake pedal until it was hard, with the foot hard on the pedal, turn the key & remove. It would also arm the alarm giving you 10 seconds to exit the car before going off.
The brakes would be locked on making the car pretty much immobile - a point that was made some time later when someone tried to nick it off his drive.
The TWOC's had used a stolen Transit to pull it onto the road with a rope, then tried to bump start it using the same van.

The following morning the police knocked at the door asking had he seen the Trooper - dad pointed to the empty space on the drive - turns out the car and the van were at the end of the road - blocking it where they had left it and given up - back door/spare wheel stoved in, skid marks all up the road! :D[/quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users