#1 Buzzword

Buzzword

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:14 PM

WARNING - LENGTHY JUSTIFICATION

My current drums on the rear have warped and are difficult to adjust, so I thought I'd buy new. After a lot of 'Umming and arrring' I decided to get minispares 'minifins' (spacered) I know most people say they are a waste of money on what is mostly a road car, but I do some autosolos and the like where seconds do matter and I've seen how people spend hundreds on lightweight radius arms or whatever so an extra £40 to save a couple of kilos unsprung weight seemed logical.

Anyway - styling!

So when I was researching alloy finned brakes I came across this picture

7Z0s1Gtb.jpg?1

Not my car by the way.

I was thinking of doing the same matt black on mine to tuck them away, and they also look pretty nice, but then I got thinking of sanding the outer edges of the fins to show the bare aluminium but I can't figure out if it will look good or tacky.

(I once had to drive a stock 1.8 ford focus with the rear drums painted bright red, for a week.... I'm just about recovered from the shame)

This is the car - my thinking is it will tie into the arch style

GO4ErTn.jpg

I guess I could just paint over the sanded parts again if it looks rubbish, but has anyone on here seen/done similar?

#2 goudoogje

goudoogje

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 05:40 PM

A while back I had a very old set, I sandblasted it, and just painted it with spray paint. Of course the paint will not help to get loose of the brake heat.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:34 PM

A while back I had a very old set, I sandblasted it, and just painted it with spray paint. Of course the paint will not help to get loose of the brake heat.

Don't worry about rear brake heat. The ear brakes only do about 20% of the total braking and really don't ever get hot, even on rally cars.

The advantage with Mini-Fins is the saving of unsprung weight.

#4 g0myw

g0myw

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:34 AM

there's no arguing the technical reasons - but they do look really smart.

#5 Buzzword

Buzzword

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:59 PM

A job takes however long as you have. I have all week off and nowhere to go..... >_<

So I went for my idea. I got some Simoniz VHT black paint (comes out matt) as I'm also renewing some brakes on another car. Pictures can do the talking.

As they arrived:-

8fOfdSA.jpg

Filled off a few sharp edges, then used to trim the masking tape

doB0LE8.jpg

painted

dM061It.jpg

edges sanded with 400 grit

pqd9YpM.jpg

UhCbdfb.jpg

They're not on the car yet, I'll get onto that on Thursday. I'm slightly worried small details don't look nice on cars in general, but it probably won't be visible at all anyway! Will have to be a bit careful of the brake clean too.

#6 Mr Brum

Mr Brum

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

Hi I think they look really smart, no idea if you'll see the silver fins though the alloys but looking good to me! I think you've inspired me to give mine a go and get them out of the box they've been hiding in!  I might try them in red to match the front callipers and see how they turn out... if they look too much I'll copy yours and do them again in black!  Looking forward to seeing them on the car when you've fitted them, thanks for sharing.

#7 REDICE

REDICE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 09:31 PM

Lovely. Just need to do the rest of the car....

#8 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 26 February 2022 - 08:24 AM

Apology for a little off-topic, but as a matter of fact I have just finished reverse-designing my Superfins into 3d-CAD: https://grabcad.com/...-leyland-mini-1

Feel free to have some fun with the design.

#9 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 26 February 2022 - 09:36 AM

A true labour of love.. well done.. look good..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users