24 replies to this topic

#1 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

I'd like your views on an instrument binnacle I've started to make.
I was thinking of covering the fascia in black vinyl and painting the housing matt black

Do you think it looks out of place ? Too big ?

I can't make my mind up whether to finish it or chuck it in the bin

#2 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:54 PM

IMG-20210408-132524.jpg

#3 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:16 PM

Personally I’d move it up so it’s hung from the top dash rail but I think the size and shape is nice. I might go for two 52mm gauges on each side if it were mine.

Edited by Tupers, 08 April 2021 - 04:17 PM.

#4 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:19 PM

Personally I’d move it up so it’s hung from the top dash rail but I think the size and shape is nice. I might go for two 52mm gauges on each side if it were mine.

There is another 52mm gauge hidden behind the steering wheel

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

If your after honesty I think it looks like a big lump which looks to big to hold the instruments that are in it. I'd move it up and back and make it smaller. I personally would incorporate the speedo as I don't like the position of a central speedo. I like the pic below but offset behind the wheel.

Attached Files

#6 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:51 PM

The issue with having it higher is the steering wheel would partly obscure the gauges Also I want it to be a standalone pod in case a future owner doesn't like it

#7 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

Take a look at the last page of the ‘81 pick up thread, that’s a really nice solution imo. https://www.theminif...0844-81-pickup/

Yours, not so much, sorry.

#8 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:07 PM

Mine's definitely too bulky I'd agree

#9 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

Are you sure you can see the gauge from your regular seating position?

#10 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Are you sure you can see the gauge from your regular seating position?

Yes

#11 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:35 PM

I'd like your views on an instrument binnacle I've started to make.
I was thinking of covering the fascia in black vinyl and painting the housing matt black

Do you think it looks out of place ? Too big ?

I can't make my mind up whether to finish it or chuck it in the bin

Ok...... being honest....like the idea but just doesn't look right imo.  If that is the style you are looking for and want the extra guages on that side then there are better options....You can buy a centre cowling that has an adittional space on the right hand side of it to incorporate extra guages, it's on this forum somewhere I just can't remember where or the name of it..........oooppps yes I can it's called a Broadspeed centre dash. I have seen them at various shows and they come in various styles for particular guages. They are pricey if I recall, £80 springs to mind, but you could definately get some good ideas from them and make a bespoke one from them out of alloy. Just google broadspeed centre dash for a look.....

#12 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:47 PM

I think it's worth sticking with the concept - if you can take some of bulk out of it, it'll be a big improvement.

Dropping the outer gauges below the centreline of the tacho and bringing them inward would reduce the facia size needed, and a more semicircular shape facia might work well with that configuration, and with a bit of luck the cowling you've beaten into shape could be modified to fit.

#13 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:28 AM

I think it's worth sticking with the concept - if you can take some of bulk out of it, it'll be a big improvement.

Dropping the outer gauges below the centreline of the tacho and bringing them inward would reduce the facia size needed, and a more semicircular shape facia might work well with that configuration, and with a bit of luck the cowling you've beaten into shape could be modified to fit.

Yes I'm scrapping the original idea and have something in mind more in line with what you're suggesting, I'll do a template tomorrow

#14 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

I have to agree with other comments here that it looks a little clunky as it is - you could lose quite a lot of it's bulk. I also don't really like the location - I feel the test of good design is that it should look as though the factory would have put it there - the one in the grey pick-up mentioned looks better in terms of size but still looks as though it's just resting on the steering column rather than being an integral part of the car. looking forward to see your Mk2 design - if you have the nerve to show us! keep at it and don't forget that it doesn't matter whether we like it or not - it's your car.

#15 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:58 PM

I have to agree with other comments here that it looks a little clunky as it is - you could lose quite a lot of it's bulk. I also don't really like the location - I feel the test of good design is that it should look as though the factory would have put it there - the one in the grey pick-up mentioned looks better in terms of size but still looks as though it's just resting on the steering column rather than being an integral part of the car. looking forward to see your Mk2 design - if you have the nerve to show us! keep at it and don't forget that it doesn't matter whether we like it or not - it's your car.

It's on hold,my shrinker tool has decided it no longer wants to shrink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users