6 replies to this topic

#1 MiniBGT

MiniBGT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

I am reading the Works Minis in Detail book and there are a lot of references to the battery box guard that was fitted on many occasions.  Unfortunately there are further details of it or pictures.  Does anyone know any more about it or have any photos please?

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

It’s quite a simple plate that runs from front to back on the rear subframe and stops the box from getting snagged on the rough stuff.

You can buy them from catmint.biz.
https://www.catmint....&products_id=56

#3 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

Is it just me or does that just look like a bent piece of aluminium..... For 66 quid

#4 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

Bent piece of ally.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:18 PM

I always make my own from 4 mm aluminium sheet. It looks rather like the one shown in the ad, but I fit an aluminium angle 1.5" x 1.5" rivetted to the inner edge. The outer edge in mine is bolted to the sub-frame lower inner flange using RivNuts and countersunk head screws.

At the front I use countersunk head bolts through the back of the floor and 'Tiger-Seal' to prevent DGS getting between the floor and the shield.Thre are a couple of 1/2" drain holes at each end to allow water to drain out easily.

I have another shield on the other side to protect the twin Facit petrol pumps and associated piping/witing. 

The centre-exit RC40 exhaust and silencr is in the middle between the two shields.

#6 MiniBGT

MiniBGT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:44 AM

An excellent description Uncle Cooperman with many interesting details especially the drain holes.  I actually have my pumps mounted on the back wall of the boot, protected by an aluminium shield as I didn't really fancy them in the cabin.  Thanks.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

An excellent description Uncle Cooperman with many interesting details especially the drain holes.  I actually have my pumps mounted on the back wall of the boot, protected by an aluminium shield as I didn't really fancy them in the cabin.  Thanks.

A lot of rally minis have twin electric pumps mounted inside the boot itself.

Personally I have never liked the idea of two high-pressure pumps in the boot together with the battery, 11 gallons of 98 octane petrol and lots of wiring.

In my boot I have an aluminium battery cover lid which is lined with rubber sheet, 2 spare wheels and not much else. All my petrol pipe connections are under the rear horizontal seat panel inside the sub-frame and bolted through the seat panel. The steel pipe goes through the heel board and runs inside the car as a continuous run right into the engine compartment near the LH carb. It is clipped back with P-clips and grommets where it passes through the centre transverse cross-member along the tunnel.

The battery lead and brake pipe run along the other side of the central tunnel with the battery master switch on a bracket  adjacent to the handbrake so that both crew members can easily reach it..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users