#16 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

You can never have enough work.

Maybe they’re happy plodding along as they are, some of us have enough work.

#17 lerry

lerry

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:56 PM

For a quick fix, have you tried " quick steel"  which is a 2 part epoxy putty

#18 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

..unless you take on so much work your customers end up waiting so long for it to be done they stop recommending you to any new customers.  then you're in a world of pain

Edited by KTS, 14 April 2021 - 07:16 PM.

#19 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:00 PM

Then you grow the business unless youre semi retired/hobbiest.

I dont understand the logic.

..unless you take on so much work your customers end up waiting so long for it to be done they stop recommending you to any new customers.  then you're in a world of pain

Edited by Maccmike8, 14 April 2021 - 08:01 PM.

#20 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:07 PM

i guess because in most cases the most important factor in running a business is ensuring you have a sustainable business model.

Perhaps Maniflow do have plans to expand, or perhaps they take the view that any upsurge in demand they're seeing now is a consequence of covid and the fact that everyone is having to spend alot more time at home, and that demand will tail off again over the next few years

they've been trading for 50years now, so i'd assume they know their market fairly well

#21 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:24 PM

i guess because in most cases the most important factor in running a business is ensuring you have a sustainable business model.

Perhaps Maniflow do have plans to expand, or perhaps they take the view that any upsurge in demand they're seeing now is a consequence of covid and the fact that everyone is having to spend alot more time at home, and that demand will tail off again over the next few years

they've been trading for 50years now, so i'd assume they know their market fairly well

Im speaking generally and not specific to Maniflow but my sentiments stand. If the increased business tails off in 3 years as per your example, grab it and make the most of it and in 3 years when things quieten again, make any changes as appropriate. 

Thats what business is and does, it ebbs and flows and the business has to be equally fluid in its running. Again assuming it isnt a small semi retired type setup.

Thats what successful long standing businesses do, they follow market demands.

Im surprised Im having to type this really. 

Edited by Maccmike8, 14 April 2021 - 09:25 PM.

#22 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:32 PM

Maniflow are a “successful, long standing business,” I was buying stuff from them in the 80’s, I still am. I accept them for what they are and I’m happy with their way of business and more than happy with the product. 

No one is forcing anyone to buy from them, there seems to be a bit of an overreaction here to be honest.

#23 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

@PoolGuy that's ok for you, but for the likes of me, who wasn't born in the 80s- it doesn't look good. 

Their lack of answering the phone/emails is making me buy another manifold (from minispares). This isn't big in itself, but what if this is happening to everyone under 30 who calls them up? We're all going to tell our mates that maniflow are useless, and then everyone under 30 will think twice before buying from maniflow.

As people have said above, I don't think there is much of an excuse. A 'good' company adapts to the times. 

#24 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:28 AM

I think everyone criticising here needs to take a step back and think a bit. These are weird unusual times, and a standard approach to business is not applicable here. If your company has a request to fill a large order to some of your biggest customers, and you're on a skeleton staff, you will take care of that first. The main issue here is staying afloat as a company. 

Yes the phone and e-mail thing could be handled better but I think we need to cut them a bit of slack. What would you prefer? A thriving Maniflow coming out the other side of this mess or one on the brink that takes your order and then goes bust leaving you out of pocket with no exhaust? 

#25 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

I think everyone criticising here needs to take a step back and think a bit. These are weird unusual times, and a standard approach to business is not applicable here. If your company has a request to fill a large order to some of your biggest customers, and you're on a skeleton staff, you will take care of that first. The main issue here is staying afloat as a company.

Yes the phone and e-mail thing could be handled better but I think we need to cut them a bit of slack. What would you prefer? A thriving Maniflow coming out the other side of this mess or one on the brink that takes your order and then goes bust leaving you out of pocket with no exhaust?

+1 spot on.

#26 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:48 PM

..unless you take on so much work your customers end up waiting so long for it to be done they stop recommending you to any new customers. then you're in a world of pain

Im speaking generally and not specific to Maniflow but my sentiments stand. If the increased business tails off in 3 years as per your example, grab it and make the most of it and in 3 years when things quieten again, make any changes as appropriate.
Thats what business is and does, it ebbs and flows and the business has to be equally fluid in its running. Again assuming it isnt a small semi retired type setup.
Thats what successful long standing businesses do, they follow market demands.
Im surprised Im having to type this really.

As if it’s easy to find good staff who’re skilled and train them to do the job. Let alone doing it during the Covid restrictions.

#27 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

Not every business is out there to expand and grow - some are happy just to survive, make enough money to keep the owners in a comfortable lifestyle and provide some well needed long term employment to a few loyal individuals.

Business doesn't have to be all about profit - it is also about doing something you enjoy and making a living from it.

#28 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:39 AM

My response is absolutely on topic.

Not answering phones or replying to messages is completely unacceptable. Period.

What happens if you need to change an existing order? What happens if Ive put a huge order in and theres a problem/defect?

Covid and happy to plod along are not acceptable answers.

Edited by Maccmike8, 19 April 2021 - 10:06 AM.

#29 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:42 AM

Maccmike, do you mind if I ask what is your personal experience of Maniflow?

#30 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:13 AM

What relevance is that?

Maccmike, do you mind if I ask what is your personal experience of Maniflow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users