#1 Sterling M

Sterling M

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Local Club: Kurow Kruisers

Posted 03 May 2021 - 06:39 AM

Hi, Has anyone successfully installed a new right hand tank in their car?

I have sorted the hole for the spout by just copying and inverting a template from the left side, all good.

The problem seems to be when I secure it with the straps, the tension on them is pulling the tank into the boot making the spout almost inaccessible for the fuel cap.

I have tried re-locating the mounting plate on the floor closer to the front of the car, it is mounted the same distance out from the inside guard as the left tank, but nothing seems to be changing the movement.

Does anyone have some photos of where the bottom plate should be and the strap mounting location please?

I have the strap on the right of that tank seam which is the mirror of the left hand side.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:10 AM

From what I've read recently about the fitting of a RH tank the new hole is not quite a mirror of the LH tank hole. Just downloaded a drawing from Minimania website with measurements for the correct positioning. Don't know if this helps or not.

Attached Files

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:23 AM

https://www.theminif...age-iow/page-17

#4 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:28 AM

It must have been your post that started me on the hunt for the template I showed.

#5 Sterling M

Sterling M

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:39 AM

Great thanks for that, really informative photos, thanks.

Do you happen to have a photo of where the short (bottom) strap anchors to the boot floor?

I drilled a hole as close to the accessible part of the rear valance, but later found a spare hole hidden by a grommet and wondered if that was purposely put there for such an install?

#6 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:21 PM

Great thanks for that, really informative photos, thanks.

Do you happen to have a photo of where the short (bottom) strap anchors to the boot floor?

I drilled a hole as close to the accessible part of the rear valance, but later found a spare hole hidden by a grommet and wondered if that was purposely put there for such an install?

I believe the hole you found with the grommet may well be above the area behind the valance that is enclosed by the valance closing panel.

You won't be able to use that as you can't get behind it.

If you get the tank stand in place and then fit the tank, you can offer up the tank strap and position the short part to where on the floor it wants to sit whilst running parallel to the tank seam.

You can't go far wrong. All positions in my photos were educated guesses and common sense and it all worked out fine.

Just make sure when you position the bracket to hold the top part of the strap to the rear bulkhead, you dont position it too high or the strap won't pull up tight enough to the tank.

I also used 1/4" thick 1" wide draught excluder foam when installing the tank.

I put a strip on the top of the tank stand plate and a strip around the tank where the strap sits.

Worked well to hold the tank tightly into place.

Cheers

Ben 

#7 Sterling M

Sterling M

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:32 PM

Yes you are correct with the location of that hole, I was going to use a nutsert so won't need access to the other side.

It sounds like I have located everything similar to you, so will try some rubber tube material to lock the strap and hopefully stop it travelling when the tension comes on.

The top bracket must be close enough, as it is well secured when everything is tight.

Many thanks for the comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users