4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Tattersall

Steve Tattersall

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:09 PM

Howdy all. I’ve been reviving a long dormant 998 1983 Mayfair and I’m now looking at the electrics. Most lights are working (except brakes) but indicators are still resisting. I’m assuming the little indicator unit is faulty but I can’t find a replacement. It’s a 9FL and all I can find are 8FL - what’s the difference? Also is there a separate hazzard unit or are they combined? Many thanks

#2 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 06:27 AM

On my '88 there is just a standard two prong 12v flasher unit (sometimes called a relay but not technically a relay). It was behind the dashboard. The hazard lamps use a separate two prong flasher on my car, located on engine bay side of firewall.
Both of these may be different on earlier cars. Check the wiring diagram for you year.

Edited by Tornado99, 08 May 2021 - 06:29 AM.

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:24 AM

The hazards and indicators all use the same circuits.

If either the switch or stalk are faulty, this will affect either one.

Either flash unit can also affect their workings, so it is a matter of elimination

#4 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 07:56 AM

83 should have two flasher units as Tornado99 says relays didnt come in on minis until later injection minis

If the hazzards are working swap the flasher unit with the indicator unit it should have two green wire on the B terminal and a light green and brown on the L terminal and it’s behind the dash on the left hand side

If they now work it was a duff flasher unit (you should hear an on and off clicking sound as they work) I fit 13H4393EVA on mine, most independent motor factors should stock them or the equivalent

If this still doesn’t fix the problem the hazzard switch may need a clean up, take it off and put a link cable across the pair of wires I think they are light green and brown (ignore the other four) if the indicators now work it’s time for a new switch or a good clean up at least

#5 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:40 PM

I recently had issues on my indictors, not working but hazaed were fine. Swapped in known good flasher unit but still no joy. I had recently R&R`d the steering column and messed with the indicator stalk a bit b/c it typically failed to self cancel after a turn. Found the fragile plastic clips that the metal casing plate engages with was not holding that plate fully tight. So everytime mainbeam pulled on it would pop the plate out of the clip, making all other internal contacts marginal.
Went and ordered the new designed MiniSpares switch assembly. All good now a nd auto cancel is back full time. Life is good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users