5 replies to this topic

#1 Minirook

Minirook

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:32 AM

So my nephew says " hey uncle John, can we build a car together" sure pick out a car and lets get to work.  Did a ground up on a 76 TR6 in the 80's, still have the car.

So he picks out a 1978 Sunshine Mini, the shell I mean and of course 10 cartons of parts (some new), 3 engines, 2 gearboxes, 2 front subframes, one rusted out rear sub frame and no directions. Of course the parts are not marked and the three bags of bolts were a big help.

My nephew should have said "hey do you want to do a puzzle together". Well after the initial inventory of parts and condition I said no lets get rid of it and get something else. Well the car must have been speaking to me, because one day I wake up and say "Ok let bring this car back to its original beauty, something about stripping away decades of neglect and adding in my personal touch when it comes to restoration projects.

We are well into he project with the front end restored and now its time to turn our attention to the body. This is why I jointed the forum, to get some advice on approaching the task of bringing the body back the right way and of course I will have a few questions on the best way to approach the headers and pair of HS2's that came in the box, but that is for another day.

I must say that it is a bit easier these days with the internet, there are some very good people out there doing some good and great work on Mini's. Keep up the great work fellas!

#2 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 10:27 AM

Welcome, we need photographic evidence of this restoration.

#3 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 28 May 2021 - 10:30 AM

A 1978 Sunshine Mini ???

Is this a rare Australian Mini Sunshine with the glass 'Sportsroof'?.... or do you mean the even rarer South African special edition with the yellow fabric sunroof?

#4 Minirook

Minirook

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:51 PM

Sorry its neither. Wish it was. Mini called the yellow Mini's in 78 Sunshine models. At least that it what I have found on Google Images. 

#5 Minirook

Minirook

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:54 PM

Here are a couple of pictures of the engine and the body

https://lh3.googleus...5-no?authuser=0

Edited by Minirook, 28 May 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#6 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:14 PM

Looks nice - can I suggest you start an Imgur account to post the pictures - it's free and easy to use - most people on here use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users