#1 Neon91

Neon91

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 11 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

Hi all, haven’t posted in a lonnnnng time as my son’s Neon sadly gave up the ghost a few years ago. Now looking at a 1998 Cooper, as per profile pic. Some rust beginning in the usual places, including sills, seller says also rear sub frame starting to go rusty but still ok. Asking a very reasonable price given all this - runs sweetly and only 50k miles ( I’m in Guernsey). In spite of a few badges etc, not sure it is a proper JCW, but logbook does say it’s a Cooper. The dash looks unlike any I’ve seen online, will post pics at some point. Steering wheel, Cooper embossed seats, carpets etc all look pukka. Any thoughts anyone?

#2 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:24 PM

So basically what your asking is - 'is this 1998 Mini a JCW Mini that (according to what i've read) they only started building in 1999'.

https://www.thelastm...com/models.html

All 1998 Cooper logbooks state - Make:  Rover

Model: Mini Cooper

.... you could buy lots of new Cooper goodies if you bought a Rover Mini-     http://www.minipassi...sories 1998.pdf

or it's more probably 2nd hand stuff someone has fitted later on.

Edited by Itsaminithing, 11 July 2021 - 06:24 PM.

#3 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:15 AM

John Cooper Works was a name applied to new the MINI. For classic minis John Cooper Garages did what they called an "S Works" either as a model they built themselves or as a conversion. This was for MPi Minis - those built from 1996. The "S Works" appeared in John Cooper's 1999 catalogue but conversions could be carried out on earlier MPi models.

Whether the logbook for a 1998 mini says Cooper is not important as Rover mini models from 1996, Cooper or not, all had the same engine specification from the factory. The logbook will not specifically identify a JCG car as it would have been already registered before it reached John Cooper Garages.

A John Cooper Garages car or conversion will easily be identified by a plate on the floor just to the right of the driver's seat, on the cross member. Ideally there should also be a John Cooper signed certificate amongst the car's paperwork. The cylinder head would have "Cooper" stamped close to the thermostat housing.

Steering wheels for MPis had airbags so John Cooper Garages didn't do their own version in the way they had done for earlier models.

#4 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:29 PM

.... conversions could be carried out on earlier MPi models....

Good point, i had forgotten about that possibility.... but it's more likely to be one of the thousands of home-brewed or fake 'Works' cars.

As you say whatever may have been fitted/removed/changed on the car over subsequent years a genuine JCG will have a plaque & certificate.

Edited by Itsaminithing, 12 July 2021 - 01:30 PM.

#5 Neon91

Neon91

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:10 PM

Many thanks for the comments- very helpful. I’m getting it checked over properly so will post again if I decide to take the plunge!

#6 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 06:38 AM

In the very latest edition of CooperWorld, John Parnell has a write up in the Rover Cooper register section specifically about the later S Works minis of the late 90's. Lots of pointers on what makes a genuine S Works. Maybe worth a read before going to check the car out.

#7 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:37 AM

The presence of the cooper plate on the crossmember regrettably won't be definitive - there's recently been a few blank plates up for sale on fleabay.......all ready to deprive the unwary of their £££'s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users